Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cockpit deckplates
On my 1996 29 Open there are three deckplates ( inspection ports ) in the cockpit that are cracked and need to be replaced. Does anyone know what sealant or chalk is used by Tiara and how to remove the old sealant? Thanks
Like Post Reply

Mine are bedded with clear silicone ( I would use the 50 year no-mold GE type ). Scrape off as much of the old stuff as possible and clean the area with acetone first. An exact replacement should be available from e-Bay or West Marine. Capt. George
Like Post Reply
(09-13-2015, 01:58 PM)Uhehner Wrote: Mine are bedded with clear silicone ( I would use the 50 year no-mold GE type ). Scrape off as much of the old stuff as possible and clean the area with acetone first. An exact replacement should be available from e-Bay or West Marine. Capt. George

Thank you for the response, I was hoping it would be simple ( not 3m 5200 or similar).
Like Post Reply
5200 is a forever adhesive. You could never change them again. Stick with the silicone. Capt. George
Like Post Reply
I like Life Calk over silicone in boat sealing.
Question for you where did you find new deck plates and are they the correct color for the deck gel coat?
Like Post Reply
Life Caulk is a great caulk especially for transducers.  It's a little bit more difficult to do a neat job because it is so thick. Silicone comes in colors and squeezes out more easily. Use dish soap and water to smooth the caulk with your finger. Be sure to mask the area for a quick clean up. Your choice.
 NEVER use 5200 on a transducer if you ever expect to change it.
 Capt. George
Like Post Reply
(09-14-2015, 09:20 AM)Silver Rush Wrote: I like Life Calk over silicone in boat sealing.
Question for you where did you find new deck plates and are they the correct color for the deck gel coat?

Purchased 3 Bomar G840W 8" Locking Deck Plates in Starkwhite (exact replacement and color) from Jamestown Distributos in Bristol R.I., shipped to N.J. total $127.18. Found out Capt. George is correct, Tiara used silicone (Dow Corning 700). Thanks for everyones response.
Like Post Reply
FYI, i replace all of mine and i believe the originals are 5200'ed in there.  I use a hear gun with a little scraper to fork them off.  I've removed a few other "original items" that I'm pretty sure Tiara used 5200 on and with a little patience and caution work out fine. Just be careful of the heat load on the fiberglass / plastic.  Get it overall warm slowly and it'll peal out.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cockpit Table dbruce222@gmail.com 7 4,286 02-29-2024, 12:31 PM
Last Post: dan@superstamper.com
  [Tiara Open] Gas shocks on my 3500 optional cockpit lounge. TP3 2 649 03-19-2023, 01:48 PM
Last Post: wardoutcharterservices
  [Tiara Open] Cockpit Refrigerator Door Panel Swap BBenn 2 772 09-09-2022, 12:33 PM
Last Post: BBenn
  [Tiara Open] 1986 36 Open Cockpit Deck Re-core Hooper 5 1,277 06-29-2022, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Misdirection
  Cockpit Inspection Hatches Matta0413 6 1,857 01-03-2022, 09:41 PM
Last Post: jclark003