Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4000 Express: Helm Refurb
Just bought this 1998 4000 Express and one of the first items of business is to get the Captain's lair more up to snuff. The off-center chart plotter was driving me nuts and there were stickers all over the place.

• Ordered new switch covers, prying off the old ones, and popping brand new ones on.
  • Fired up the old computer, researched all the stuff I wanted to add & move.
  • Downloaded  the cutout templates for all the stuff.
  • Drew it up on frontpanelexpress.com.

• 5 business days later:

• Carefully removed all the old stuff, some of which will be kept for the season
  • Started cutting with one of those vibrating-toothy tools 

• Bolted all the new stuff in, et voila

I didn't upgrade the chart plotter but I did cleverly leave enough room for a 16" in case Santa is reading this post Smile
You'll notice the little colored dots in the corners and center-bottom. I never remember which horn signal means left & right so I added permanent reminders.
Also I hope the folks at Tiara don't mind my adding their logo to the bottom right corner.
[-] The following 5 users Like emarrero's post:
frank.koetter (01-03-2022), Maineboater (06-02-2021), MC1600 (12-12-2021), Misdirection (04-12-2021), RMS (09-06-2022)
Like Post Reply

(04-12-2021, 02:19 PM)emarrero Wrote: Just bought this 1998 4000 Express and one of the first items of business is to get the Captain's lair more up to snuff. The off-center chart plotter was driving me nuts and there were stickers all over the place.

Ordered new switch covers, prying off the old ones, and popping brand new ones on.
  • Fired up the old computer, researched all the stuff I wanted to add & move.
  • Downloaded  the cutout templates for all the stuff.
  • Drew it up on frontpanelexpress.com.

• 5 business days later:

• Carefully removed all the old stuff, some of which will be kept for the season
  • Started cutting with one of those vibrating-toothy tools 

• Bolted all the new stuff in, et voila

I didn't upgrade the chart plotter but I did cleverly leave enough room for a 16" in case Santa is reading this post :)
You'll notice the little colored dots in the corners and center-bottom. I never remember which horn signal means left & right so I added permanent reminders.
Also I hope the folks at Tiara don't mind my adding their logo to the bottom right corner.

Where did you purchase the new switch covers?
I have a 96 3500 express and the helm switches all work but have started to get soft and tacky.
Like Post Reply
Hi. I bought them from "The Switch Guys" [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]
Like Post Reply
Holy crap that’s beautiful! I’m going to redo mine in the next year or two and will be bookmarking this as I love that panel! All very slick — well done!
[-] The following 1 user Likes MC1600's post:
Misdirection (12-12-2021)
Like Post Reply
This was mine from this year....done by boatoutfitters.com

Planning to complete top panel as soon as I figure out the NEMA conversion stuff to eliminate the tachs.

Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 1 user Likes August Rush's post:
emarrero (12-15-2021)
Like Post Reply
I do like that double-barreled MFD look. You're going to make me spend money, August Rush.
Like Post Reply
How do you all use the second MFD? I currently have an older Raymarine that I just overlap the radar and chart plotter. As I look to redo my helm, is the second one worth the money? Or can I be just as happy with one of the biggest ones I can fit in there?
Like Post Reply
I have had side by side displays on my last 4 boats.i use one for plotter and radar and the other for depth. I always keep an eye on it while running. I find alot of bottom structure doing that.
Sans Peur 2003 Tiara 50 Open
Like Post Reply
We just finished our Helm in our 1998 40’ express.
As soon as I figure out how to post pictures I will share. We installed twin 16” Garmins.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Tmanders's post:
Misdirection (09-02-2022)
Like Post Reply
That is great work and impressed you tackled that. I need to install a radio in my new to me 32 as the previous owner just used a hand held and I am trying to determine if I am capable. Seeing this gives me some motivation.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4000 Express New Generator/Gen-Sep Install Jack Aperio 2 682 03-06-2024, 06:04 AM
Last Post: Sans Peur
  4000 Express Line Drawing MC1600 2 2,171 10-21-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: MC1600
  Installing RIB on the back of a 40 Express August Rush 3 1,761 09-11-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: ZQubed
  4000 Express tender/davit install Jack Aperio 6 2,249 05-26-2023, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Jack Aperio
  4000 Express forward deck repair Jack Aperio 5 1,398 04-21-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: Jack Aperio