Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stainless Thru Hulls-Best Manufacturer?
Who makes the best stainless thru hulls?
Cost is not a factor.
It is obviously a lengthy project and using inferior product is not an option.
The plastic OEM look terrible after a few years.
Any thoughts?

Perko, Attwood,Southco?

Does Tiara use the chrome plastic now on their new boats?
Do these actually hold up?

Tiara 3200 2004
Like Post Reply

I replaced all mine on a 98 31 Open with Perko's.  Not cheap $45 or so each, but look great and fit & connected to the existing hoses well.  Only issue is grounding. The old Durlon didn't require it. The SS ones come with a grounding screw and should be connected to one of the grounding busses.  A lot of extra work fishing a green wire from all the through hulls!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dakota773's post:
YOLO (07-12-2015)
Like Post Reply
The lower grade stainless will leave rust stains on your gelcoat and will require polishing now and then. The better grades look like new for many years. West Marine usually carries the better grades at a price. Take a magnet with you when buying stainless (and brass). If it has any attraction at all it will probably leave rust stains. Same goes for stainless screws. Remember it's "Stain-LESS, not stain-PROOF".
As a note, WINK takes rust stains off gelcoat. Got it at ACE Hardware.
 I see no reason to bond thru-hulls that are above the water line, (comments please). 
You can paint plastic thru-hulls with Awlgrip on the outside and they look great and last for years. I did that on those that were near impossible to change. I also Alwgrip my antennas and they stay smooth and shine for years. No more glass splinters.
Capt. George
[-] The following 1 user Likes Uhehner's post:
YOLO (07-12-2015)
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Replace thru hulls on 1998 Tiara 3100 Open Pknappe 5 3,210 03-03-2021, 04:15 PM
Last Post: tiara owner
  35 Open Scupper - Stainless? Heps 3 2,168 03-03-2020, 12:42 PM
Last Post: trit21
  Better exhaust manifold replacement: stainless vs EDP ceramic coated cast iron? SMSilvers 0 1,115 01-29-2020, 09:42 AM
Last Post: SMSilvers
  Brute Plate thru hulls Betterdays123 2 2,250 05-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Last Post: sawdustdad
  Cleaning Brass Prop and Stainless Shafts Betterdays123 3 3,586 05-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Last Post: justrollin