Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rod holder and tv installation in cabin
Hi! I'm a new owner of an 89 3100 open. I've got a couple of what seem like should be easy projects I'd like to knock out but not sure what I might be getting into.

First, I've seen several that have rod holders installed on the headliner over the dinette. Any suggestions on how to do this? I'm relatively handy around the house but am nervous about drilling in to the ceiling of my cabin and creating a new leak path.

Second, I'd like to mount a relatively small flat screen tv. I have an articulating bracket plenty beefy enough to handle the TV, but am wondering what to bolt it to. Is there a good place to mount the tv with enough strength to handle the load in rough conditions?
Like Post Reply

Be careful drilling into the overhead, you don't want to go thru the top layer. If you feel around you can find blocks of wood glassed to the top shell. Only drill into these blocks and carefully set your drill depth with tape on the drill. I mounted a teak board to the overhead and put the rod holders on the board.
Like Post Reply
(10-06-2015, 05:25 PM)Uhehner Wrote: Be careful drilling into the overhead, you don't want to go thru the top layer. If you feel around you can find blocks of wood glassed to the top shell. Only drill into these blocks and carefully set your drill depth with tape on the drill. I mounted a teak board to the overhead and put the rod holders on the board.

How deep should i drill to stay safe?  Also, do the wood blocks under the liner run lengthwise or across?  
Thanks!
Like Post Reply
 I mounted a 1/2" thick X 4" wide teak board in the overhead after I located all the blocks in the area. You can feel the blocks of wood with your hands by pressing on the headliner.  When you drill through the headliner material you will hit the first layer of hard fiberglass covering the blocks. Continue drilling. Then you will feel the soft wood of the block. Then you will feel the hard layer of glass that is the cabin top. DO NOT continue drilling into the cabin top. You can now determine the thickness of the blocks. Add for the board you are installing and subtract about 1/4" to be safe. That should do it. Good Luck.  Capt. George
Like Post Reply
(10-09-2015, 06:46 AM)Uhehner Wrote:  I mounted a 1/2" thick X 4" wide teak board in the overhead after I located all the blocks in the area. You can feel the blocks of wood with your hands by pressing on the headliner.  When you drill through the headliner material you will hit the first layer of hard fiberglass covering the blocks. Continue drilling. Then you will feel the soft wood of the block. Then you will feel the hard layer of glass that is the cabin top. DO NOT continue drilling into the cabin top. You can now determine the thickness of the blocks. Add for the board you are installing and subtract about 1/4" to be safe. That should do it. Good Luck.  Capt. George

Thank you sir. I think I can handle that.  Any recommendations on holders/racks?
Like Post Reply
TACO silver or gold.  All others look cheap.  Capt. George
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Open] Hatch Rings cabin headliner Eric Wachsning 4 2,898 03-07-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: bruce33
  TV installation in 3100 open rose_surfer 3 3,755 02-29-2016, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Fiddlehead
  Windlass Installation on 98 31 Open Dakota773 1 2,905 01-22-2016, 06:07 PM
Last Post: 31newport
  1995 3100 Open - Sliding Cabin Door Skinney01 2 5,165 11-12-2015, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Babetoo
  Rod holder insert for flag pole Vidal Doll 5 5,347 02-28-2014, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Vidal Doll