Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Gauges not working
My fuel gauges are not working on my 1997 31 Tiara, 454's. The prior owner indicated it may be the sending units. Does anyone have experience here, and a source for the sending units if that is the issue?

Thanks
Like Post Reply

Bill,

Your sending units are likely made by a company called Moeller. They could also be made by Teleflex, but I believe they are Moeller.

Did both units fail at the same time or did they fail at different times?

If you do choose to remove your old units from the tank, be very careful! I would not use power tools to remove them. Most corded and cordless drills and screw drivers are not ignition protected and could easily spark causing fire and/or explosion.

It would be unusual for both sending units to fail at the same time. Did anyone do any wiring behind the helm or in the engine room around the time of the failure? This would be more a more likely scenario if both failed at the same time (ground removed or both wires from sending units cut). Make sure the fuel tanks are properly bonded to the grounding system before removing sending units. I would also check the wiring connections at the tank and at the helm gauges.

If you do remove the sending units, you should be able to order new sending units from Port Supply, West Marine, Boat US or any other large boating supply company.

Good Luck and let us know how it works out.
Chris Burkard
[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]
Like Post Reply
Good info Chris. I'll do more research from the prior owner as I just bought the boat. Thanks
Like Post Reply
I replaced the Moeller units on my 36' by changing out just the senders, not the float assembly which is very hard to get out without stripping the screw heads or breaking them off. First buy a new sender and connect it to the old wiring with clip leads. Then use a magnet to move the needle, its magnetically coupled to the float assy. If the gauge works you know where the problem is. And follow Chris's advice above. Capt. George
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Victron Energy Centaur Battery Charger Not Working Euphoria38 1 1,580 12-26-2022, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Sapphire
  [Tiara Sovran] Spot Light not working jhhall 1 1,141 03-06-2021, 10:11 PM
Last Post: jclark003
  [Tiara Open] oil pressure gauges Ron Cooper 1 1,603 11-27-2019, 09:40 AM
Last Post: ReelMagic
  Digital AC & DC volt gauges bruce33 1 2,074 11-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Last Post: bigboatben
  VDO Fuel Gauge Sending Unit resistance. kayej@cox.net 2 2,426 10-16-2017, 05:22 PM
Last Post: kayej@cox.net