Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhaust Riser Replacement on 1996 40 Express with Cummins 6CTA engines
 I have recently had problems with sea water entering the port engine on my 1996 40 Express with Cummins 6CTA engines.  The water is entering via the exhaust system.  I appears water is building up in the lift muffler and then flows back into the engine after it's shut down.  The boat yard is checking the lift muffler to see if it may be the problem.  The yard also believes the problem may be caused by the design of the exhaust riser.  Have any other 40 Express owners had a similar problem?  If so, have any owners had custom exhaust risers installed?  Any information on this topic would be appreciated.
Like Post Reply

There are many articles on boatdiesel on how an exhaust should be set up and the maintenance required. I am not familiar with your set up but if you have a photo I can look at it and comment as required, but I am not expert. You can also visit sbmar.com and chat there as there is a tons of information on his site about exhaust setup. He (Tony Athens) is the guys who wrote a lot of the stuff on boat diesel as well.
Tom
Like Post Reply
Tom,

Thanks for the response. I have read a number of articles from sbmar.com and found them very informative. I sent Tony photos of my riser and muffler, he didn't like the design (his statement was a little more direct). I have a couple of questions for you. You have a Tiara 350, are you running the factory riser and exhaust system on the boat or have you changed it? Do you know of anyone with a 40 Express who has changed the riser due to the problems with sea water backing up into the engine?

Thanks,

Steve Janett
Like Post Reply
(01-24-2020, 10:09 AM)janste2018 Wrote: Tom,

Thanks for the response.  I have read a number of articles from sbmar.com and found them very informative.  I sent Tony photos of my riser and muffler, he didn't like the design (his statement was a little more direct).  I have a couple of questions for you.  You have a Tiara 350, are you running the factory riser and exhaust system on the boat or have you changed it?  Do you know of anyone with a 40 Express who has changed the riser due to the problems with sea water backing up into the engine?  

Thanks,

Steve Janett

I have the original exhaust and risers that came from tiara. I had Tony look at them and he approved of the design and haven’t had any issues to date. I do not know anyone with a 40 express sorry
Tom
Like Post Reply
Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,
Steve Janett
Like Post Reply
I have a 2000 41'Express with Cat's. The exhaust exits above/at the waterline on the side of the boat. Mine doesn't have a lift muffler or anything except straight pipes going downhill to the exits.
No known problems with water backup on my setup.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sans Peur's post:
janste2018 (01-26-2020)
Like Post Reply
The 41 Open and the 40 Express are completely different boats. Tiara used the Open for the fishing style open cockpit design while the Express was the cruiser style boat the has seating in the cockpit area which is also much higher off the water. Can get confusing when different manufacturers use the same wording for different style boats. I assumed that the OP has the cruising style boat which I would think would use the lift mufflers as the engines are much further towards the rear with no room for exhaust setup like the opens have.
Tom
Like Post Reply
The Tiara names always confuse me. I love their fishing platforms but am totally unfamiliar with the cruisers.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Open] Cummins 6cta 8.3 mechanical smoking when cold 3rdcoastboater 4 638 09-23-2023, 07:21 AM
Last Post: 3rdcoastboater
  Uneven Underwater Exhaust MC1600 9 3,180 05-05-2023, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Dakota773
  Re-powering 1999 4000 Express byrohill 12 3,706 02-22-2023, 12:50 PM
Last Post: HandsFree
  Cummins 5.9 Performance questions mggilmorern@gmail.com 7 2,933 01-12-2023, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Tom Stewart
  Cummins Horse power ? giff1 4 1,501 01-12-2023, 02:26 PM
Last Post: Tom Stewart