Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2003 - 42 Open will QSM 11's - 660hp, slow starting crank
I am in the middle of surveying/buying a 42 open and QSM11 engine package. During survey, we found to start the engines that the batteries need to be switched to emergency, then they crank slow, about 5-6 turns on port engine, 3-5 times on starboard, then you hear the starter spin up and the motors fire. All 4 batteries are new.

Owner states is has been like this for the past 5 year that he has owned the boat and he spoke to others that experience the same.

I have never heard this before and believe it is not correct.  Am also investigating with Cummins.

Any other 42 owners have this experience?  

Please let me know your experience.

Thanks
Like Post Reply

Understand the batteries are new, however do they have enough cranking amps? When we purchased our 2003 Cat powered 42, the batteries were brand new (per condition of purchase), however the cranking amps were low and had to be paralleled.

Max
Like Post Reply
The motors only start when paralleled. Did you change the batteries to a higher cranking amp?
Like Post Reply
I haven't yet as they were brand new and my local mechanic said the were the highest CCA gel batteries which is what my charger was setup for. I am going to get through this season (2nd season on batteries) and probably replace all again this winter. I'm hoping we'll be able to use the same charger, but may not be able to. I'm back at the boat tomorrow for a long trip and will try and pull up the floor in the ER to see what I have as I don't recall.

Max
Like Post Reply
Cummins can give you a better answer but it doesn't sound right that your engines are slowly rolling over several/5 turns before lighting. I can't imagine any starter surviving long slow cranking that much. Assuming the PO didn't install deep cycle batteries you may want to check the battery cables / connections as any one can cause the problem described. if they check out maybe load test the starter(s). By comparison if I don't parallel my Cats slow crank for maybe a second or two and then start right up. When paralleled they start right up with almost no hesitation even when cold. Good luck
Like Post Reply
(06-05-2017, 09:56 PM)jclark003 Wrote: Cummins can give you a better answer but it doesn't sound right that your engines are slowly rolling over several/5 turns before lighting. I can't imagine any starter surviving long slow cranking that much.  Assuming the PO didn't install deep cycle batteries you may want to check the battery cables / connections as any one can cause the problem described. if they check out maybe load test the starter(s). By comparison if I don't parallel my Cats slow crank for maybe a second or two and then start right up. When paralleled they start right up with almost no hesitation even when cold. Good luck

Do you recall which batteries you are running in your boat?
Like Post Reply
if I remember correctly they are regular off the shelf sealed group 27 start batteries @1150 CCA configured in two banks of 4. I picked them up at a local auto zone parts store.
Like Post Reply
I know this is an old thread but wanted to add to it for others to see

I have had a 41 Open 2001  with QSM's since 2009, great boat still love it, taking her all over Long Island Sound,Rhode Island Sound , Nantucket Sound , Did the Abaco bahamas 3 years and the last 2 years did the bahamas and exumas all awesome trips with a great solid SAFE boat
Anyways as for this thread anyone with Cummins QSM-11's will experience about 5 cranks before they fire up and that's normal as these engines must see minimum oil pressure before they send fuel and fire ,which allows them to build up fuel pressure and for cylinders to create a little heat before sending in cold fuel, older mechanical cummins engines fire at like half a crank and that's normal
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SLOW ROLLING START honest mark 4 961 10-11-2023, 01:59 PM
Last Post: m.t.bentz
  Slow rolling start honest mark 4 1,239 09-20-2022, 02:19 PM
Last Post: honest mark
  2003 Tiara -- Generator Question sallykropp 2 1,210 06-09-2022, 11:51 AM
Last Post: neto
  35 open shaft log size J.klaffer 3 1,711 04-30-2022, 07:16 PM
Last Post: hiccup
  1996 Volvo KAMD42P-A starting on its own!! M5finally 5 1,877 03-28-2022, 10:13 PM
Last Post: jmk