Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat haul-out
I am scheduling a haul-out with my marina for some upcoming maintenance. My marina does not have a travel lift but has told me that they can use their marine forklift. I contacted Tiara regarding using this method and was given information out of the manual that you should use slings. My question is have any members here had a haul-out using a forklift? I own a '96 31' Open. I obviously do not want to damage the hull or running gear using a forklift.
Like Post Reply

The 1997 31 Open Owners Manual I have reviewed included a graving plan illustrating where the hauling straps should be located and where the boat should be blocked when on the hard.  I do not recall seeing any mention of hauling via forklift.  One question I have is how would the lift operator know how wide to set the forks so as to not damage the running gear and transducers?
Like Post Reply
Good question. The lift operator was planning on doing research in hopes of finding dimensional data for the props and rudder relative to the hull for fork adjustment. I contacted Tiara and they did not have that information. I am now having second thoughts and will likely go the route of a travel lift.
Like Post Reply
My experience is anything larger than 26 feet is out for forklifts...they simply don't have the weight or dimensional configuration to handle larger boats...especially Tiaras with twin power configurations. Of course this depends on the forklift, its limits and fork configuration. (Check the weight limit on the fork lift. Usually a 10% safety factor that should be adhered.) My 3200 (twin screws) is kept on a lift and configuring the bunks for the lift was a critical measurement. Consider through hulls, trim tabs, props and shafts, etc. Tiara provided a cut sheet for the hull showing dimensions so I would call the factory direct for more advice. For me, I definitely would not do a fork lift.
Like Post Reply
(07-02-2017, 07:35 AM)doverden Wrote: My experience is anything larger than 26 feet is out for forklifts...they simply don't have the weight or dimensional configuration to handle larger boats...especially Tiaras with twin power configurations. Of course this depends on the forklift, its limits and fork configuration.  (Check the weight limit on the fork lift.  Usually a 10% safety factor that should be adhered.) My 3200 (twin screws) is kept on a lift and configuring the bunks for the lift was a critical measurement.  Consider through hulls, trim tabs, props and shafts, etc. Tiara provided a cut sheet for the hull showing dimensions so I would call the factory direct for more advice.  For me, I definitely would not do a fork lift.

Maybe 20 years ago but they are doing boats up to 25 tons and 50' in length as select marinas.

[Image: photo3big.jpg]
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Boat Yard in SE Michigan for Repairs? MichFan 2 902 08-16-2022, 10:19 AM
Last Post: d5dekeyser
  Insurance for Florida Boat GeoDoc 2 1,181 06-11-2021, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Gosseligbeg
  boat horn honest mark 6 2,700 03-08-2021, 06:11 PM
Last Post: honest mark
  Anodes on transom of boat 2 sizes? Donaldjames 8 3,477 12-10-2020, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Misdirection