Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiara Open 1989 Open - Fuel Gage Stopped Workinguel el
1989 Open - My fuel gage stopped showing fuel level in the gas tank, regardless of the amount of fuel. Shows in the red zone, no matter how much fuel in tank.
300 gal. Tank and all helm meters are original to the boat.

Photos of the fuel level apparatus are from the top of the tank. Wires are is good shape with no corrosion.

Looking for member advice how to fix the fuel gauge.

Tx, Mike

Thumbnail(s)

Like Post Reply

Tx, Mike
[/quote]
With the key on, short the wires at the sender together. The gauge needle should move. That will show whether the wiring and gauge are OK. If it's the sender, they are replaceable. First remove just the plastic top section and use a magnet to move the red pointer. If the gauge moves the problem is the float assembly in the tank. If the pointer is on E it usually means the float has sunk to the bottom of the tank. You will need a very new and good sharp Phillips screw driver and LOTS of pressure on the screws to break them loose. Make sure the screw driver tip mates perfectly with the screws. You only have one chance at this. If you slip and ruin the screw head you are out of luck. The parts are usually made by Moeller and you can purchase just the sender.
Capt George
Like Post Reply
Capt. George: Thank you sir!
Like Post Reply
For us newbies, could you please explain what one does to "short the wires"?
I would also like to thank Capt. George and all of the other contributors who have provided invaluable information I could not find anywhere else!

Bob
Like Post Reply
Many gauges are based off a ground reference (resistance to ground). Capt George means shorting the sender wire to a ground source (such as the tank. almost all marine fuel senders are 30 ohms full to 240 empty so shorting to ground should peg the gauge if working properly and wiring in tact.
Like Post Reply
(08-12-2018, 08:43 AM)rkaufman Wrote: For us newbies, could you please explain what one does to "short the wires"?
I would also like to thank Capt. George and all of the other contributors who have provided invaluable information I could not find anywhere else!

Bob
Shorting the wires means connecting the two wires together so that there is zero resistance ( a short ) between them. If there is only one wire it would be temporarily connected to a grounded item such as an engine block or an item with a green wire ( bonding wire ground ) on it. The black battery cable would be attached to the engine block and be considered a ground.  It sounds like you would benefit from joining the US Power Squadron in your area and taking some of their classes. You will be amazed at what they can teach you about navigation, weather, electronics, engines etc.
Capt. George
Like Post Reply
Thank you, Capt. George!
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Open] 2900 open - cup holder above dinette North000 0 96 05-09-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: North000
  Voltage gage DLydey 3 246 04-30-2024, 05:39 AM
Last Post: DLydey
  Battery Charger issue 04' 32 open Coastie57 2 229 04-24-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Matta0413
  2005- 3600 Open Center Windshield Wiper Motor Cover Replacement Tminus3 1 349 03-30-2024, 08:03 AM
Last Post: Makoman
  2005 Tiara 2900 Open Classic shaft size wlizondro 1 511 03-18-2024, 02:45 PM
Last Post: HIGH SPIRTED