Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1999 31 Open-- Maxwell Windlass Problem
Just bought a 99 31 Open that I really like. 

When I was out the other day we anchored up and when we were ready to leave and I was pulling the anchor the windlass would just spin and not grab the line.  When I put a little pressure on the line with my hand it would start to go but when the pressure was off it would just spin again.  Once I got to the chain it was fine.

Any idea what this might be??? The windlass is a Maxwell
Like Post Reply

(08-09-2017, 11:39 AM)BGLhooked Wrote: Just bought a 99 31 Open that I really like. 

When I was out the other day we anchored up and when we were ready to leave and I was pulling the anchor the windlass would just spin and not grab the line.  When I put a little pressure on the line with my hand it would start to go but when the pressure was off it would just spin again.  Once I got to the chain it was fine.

Any idea what this might be??? The windlass is a Maxwell

Hi, same thing happened to me on my 07 3900 Sovran.   A few weeks earlier I noticed a little plastic piece (like a "tab") with a yellow band (about 3" long) was laying beside the unit after an outing...I picked it up and kept it not knowing what it was.  Next time I used the windlass, same thing happened as you described.  I looked in the Maxwell manual, and low and behold,  in the packet was a new plastic tab.   I checked with the mechanic and they said our model had problems...the manual had instructions for replacement, but a little more time consuming than I wanted so i had it done...took them about 30 minutes because they knew what the were doing.   They ordered another for me for when/if it happens again.   Not sure what model you have, but that was our fix.  PM me and I'll email you a photo of the part...too big to attach.  Hope it helps.  tim
Like Post Reply
Anyone know what model my windlass may be?? Its on a 31 Open built in 1999 and I believe it is original. There are some numbers stamped on the motor inside the anchor locker that read 88725.  I'm not sure what those mean.

Thanks for any help!!

Brian

Like Post Reply
(08-10-2017, 07:22 AM)BGLhooked Wrote: Anyone know what model my windlass may be?? Its on a 31 Open built in 1999 and I believe it is original. There are some numbers stamped on the motor inside the anchor locker that read 88725.  I'm not sure what those mean.

Thanks for any help!!

Brian

we have the same one. I'll take a pict of manual, and send you the plastic clip photo...i'm sure this is the fix. PM me your email address...attachments don't work on here for me (assuming it is because a MAC)
Like Post Reply
you need an anchor wrench that will adjust the tension that the windless puts on the line. Yuo just need to tighten it a little at a time . same thing happened to me .
Like Post Reply
Thanks.

I got the new pressure arm, I installed it and she grabbed the rope immediately. Once it got to the splice it bound up. Went up and down a few times and it grabbed the chain. No doubt it works better.

I had also ordered the stripper arm kit and when I went to install I had a problems.

The first problem is the "Stripper" has a plastic pin on it that should fit in somewhere and I don't have a spot for it. The old one does not have this pin. I'm assuming I need to drill a hole somewhere for it to fit into.

Secondly, the Black Plastic "Snap Bush" has a flange on either end. How am I suppose to pass it through the existing holes in the upper and lower chain wheel? The Snap bush that is in their is broken in 2 pieces, top and bottom. I put it back together with the broken parts because I didn't know what else to do at that point.

Im thinking this may fix the splice passing through the windlass.

Any input on this??
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Battery Charger issue 04' 32 open Coastie57 2 166 04-24-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Matta0413
  2005- 3600 Open Center Windshield Wiper Motor Cover Replacement Tminus3 1 300 03-30-2024, 08:03 AM
Last Post: Makoman
  2005 Tiara 2900 Open Classic shaft size wlizondro 1 469 03-18-2024, 02:45 PM
Last Post: HIGH SPIRTED
  [Tiara Open] VHF Cable Run 3800 Open twilson0929 0 162 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: twilson0929
  [Tiara Open] 2018 43' open, trying to find make of windshield wipers that need replacing. charley's angel 3 245 02-21-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: ReelMagic