Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open vs. Sovran: ride quality?
If you've been able to compare, please let me know your thoughts on the differences. Looking at one of each from early 2000's. Goal is for my young family to be most comfortable so as to encourage them and not scare them in seas.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply

Different hulls. Open will offer a dry ride in rough weather. Not sure how they handle and push through waves but the open series will keep you dry in the cockpit as the hull is designed to do so.
Kent
1999 Tiara 35 Open, Cummins
[-] The following 1 user Likes torchlake99's post:
robin.joshua (08-24-2017)
Like Post Reply
We have a 44' 2005 Sovran - love the boat! It is a 'wet' ride in 3'+ seas, but VERY stable. Sovran setup more for cruising, while the open is more for fishing. Both hulls are solid rides!
[-] The following 2 users Like TIARA44's post:
GMahanna (04-02-2020), robin.joshua (08-24-2017)
Like Post Reply
I had a 39 Sovran prior to our 42 Open... The Sovran lived better etc, however the they made the hull a little bulbous which did not do the boat any favors in a head sea... I've run a handful of 43 Sovran's and the added length did help a little, which I am told is the case with the 44/47 Sovran, however I've never personally run one. Overall we chose to switch to the open for its sea keeping ability and the fact that we can run on days that we likely wouldn't have with the Sovran...

Max
[-] The following 1 user Likes Maxwell's post:
Like Post Reply
The previous posts are consistent with all the research I did prior to purchasing my 43 open. Talked to a number of Sovran and open owners, and a couple of owners who went from Sovran to Open who all said the same thing: more room/livability versus a drier ride and better sea keeping. Both good boats so really a personal choice.

Its just my wife and I who cruise the boat so we feel quite comfortable with the livability. We also feel secure and have no issues heading out of port while most everyone else is staying put.

Good luck
[-] The following 1 user Likes jclark003's post:
Like Post Reply
(08-24-2017, 10:17 PM)jclark003 Wrote: The previous posts are consistent with all the research I did prior to purchasing my 43 open. Talked to a number of Sovran and open owners, and a couple of owners who went from Sovran to Open who all said the same thing: more room/livability versus a drier ride and better sea keeping. Both good boats so really a personal choice.

Its just my wife and I who cruise the boat so we feel quite comfortable with the livability. We also feel secure and have no issues heading out of port while most everyone else is staying put.

Good luck
Thanks for the replies. The common theme underscores our preference for the drier ride. Regards

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply
I have recently taken 2 trips from Miami to Bimini on my 43 Sovran.  On both trips we encountered waves higher than predicted in the Gulf stream.  On the first trip we faced 5 to 6 ft waves with the occasional 8ft thrown in with about a 5 second interval.  I needed to use my wipers 5 or 6 times to clear the spray and we maintained a 21-23 knot cruise speed.  On the 2nd trip we faced solid 4ft waves with the occasional 6ft with a very close interval.  I needed to use my wipers 1 or 2 times but needed to slow down to 18 knots.  The few times I needed the wipers because it was a "wet" ride  really did not make a difference as we were inside.  The sea keeping ability on both trips was tremendous.  At no time during both trips, did we feel that the boat could not withstand the waves.  The Sovran gives us the comfort and confidence that are needed to make a tough day on the water a fun challenge.
[-] The following 2 users Like DavidB's post:
RMS (05-03-2023), robin.joshua (08-29-2017)
Like Post Reply
Its been a few years since this post, but we have a 44/47 Sovran and think she is one of the best hulls Tiara ever made. We have owned previously a 2004 Tiara 31 Open with diesels, and have been out cruising with may other Tiaras and ridden in many open, Cornet, Sovran, and Coupe models. As a side note, there are eight different Sovran models that Tiara made. DM me if you want more details as I have a list and difference between them. That said some of the Sovrans have IPS drivelines and some are shaft driven.
My wife and I feel the Shaft driven Tiara's have a better ride and MUCH better sea keeping and ruff water performance and stability then the IPS's. The IPS's are more fuel efficient, usually faster, along with the IPS docking all be it at the expense of much higher maintenance costs in the long run. All that said, the Open series will have a dryer ride due to the more flared front end, with slightly smaller living space in the forward berth. The Open models do provide more outside "open" space which is a nice feature if you do any fishing and/or allow for a more flexible seating and social area.
Personally, we are at the point where our 44/47 Sovran will take all the weather we would ever want to travel in. We have been out in solid 10-12 footers with the occasional 14-16 through in for fun. We were able to stay on plane and she handled it without issue. I will say the crew was not as happy, but the boat will always take much more then the crew will take.
Personally, we would never buy a boat we had not sea trialed on a bad weather day. All boats are great in calm seas. Most Tiara owners are very friendly and willing to take people out, even on the ruff days. If your looking to upgrade, walk the docks and see if you can bum a ride and fell the difference. Not every design and style of boat is for everyone. You may find you love some little feature of one or the other that you can not live without. Boating is about passion not necessity, Take your time and find a model that you love. you will know it when you get onboard and take her out.
The 44/47 Sovran is a WET ride, but not ruff. As she is a full hardtop, we do not care if she throws up a lot of water. We have found that most people, (just my opinion) don't cruise in ruff water with enough trim tap, or said another way, push the bow down and let the bow cut the waves. In a following sea, the 44/47 hull has very little push as the swim platform is almost 4 feet thick and rounded, leaving only about a foot of flat stern at the back for the following sea to push on. This is of course, only an issue if you are not on plane.
All this said, our next boat will have some type of stabilization that works both while at anchor or tied to a dock and while out cruising. We personally would give up a lot to get stabilization, but we live aboard for 4 1/2 month each year.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for a 2006 or newer 32 Open Matta0413 3 1,303 02-04-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Matta0413
  [Tiara Open] 3800 Open Fresh Water Tank Mineral Deposits twilson0929 6 583 12-12-2023, 03:52 PM
Last Post: hiccup
  TV 36' Open firstlight 4 1,369 10-24-2023, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Tkey
  43 OPEN with 660 hp CAT's - best prop? bnr@dur-a-flex.com 5 857 08-24-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: bnr@dur-a-flex.com
  [Tiara Open] Anyone have any plus or minuses about a1986 to a 1996 3600 Open Gpersi 5 1,335 06-15-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Gpersi