Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VDO Fuel Gauge Sending Unit resistance.
The standard 30-230ohm sending unit does not work correctly. Gauge pegs when key is turned on. These units are in a 1984 Tiara Open express with gas engines. Bought the boat and both fuel gauges were either fixed (1/4 tank) or didn't work at all. Tried the Moeller (universal) units and they apparently do no work with the VDO gauges installed in the boat. The old sending units were Tempo R202 but I cannot find a replacement for them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Like Post Reply

VDO has a lot of different sending units that are matched to the gauge. Some of them are backward in relation to the standard US 240-33 ohm (example 10-184).

I would first check the sender resistance at the helm(disconnected from the gauge) to make sure the wire isn't shorted to ground. Then I would ground the sender terminal and see which direction the gauge moves. If it travels to full then it is probably 240-33 and you have a sender or wiring issue. If it travels to empty your gauge is probably matched to a different resistance range. If this is the case it might be easier to replace the gauge since you already have a new sender.

Good luck
Like Post Reply
Thanks for the tips. Will give it a try.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Voltage panel gauge Captjake 1 1,187 02-03-2022, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Goodwake
  [Tiara Open] Where can I find this gauge? Oceanjake 2 1,321 03-14-2021, 08:02 AM
Last Post: MC1600
  Fuel Gauges not working Bill1954 3 3,736 04-23-2013, 06:32 AM
Last Post: Uhehner