Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bilgewater
Chris,

That's a great idea.
We went to Cabbage Key yesterday with the same results as before. It does appear that the two non-draining triangle sections next to the transom fill up first. I'm sure the tail end of the swim platform edge drags through the water on the way to planning.

Thank you,

Steve
Like Post Reply

Steve,

Yes, when you plane off and when you come off of a plane, the edge of the platform submerges. The water pressure during this process easily can force water through the smallest of openings. If you can see light, water can enter. As you are running, water coming off the hull bottom can also spray upward and under the shoe box fitting at the platform rubrail. I have seen a few boats with this issue.

Good Luck!
Chris Burkard
[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]
Like Post Reply
Chris,

I have not been able to preform your test yet. Either the night time weather hasn't cooperated, or my flashlight assistant has been unavailable.
I did try the reverse by myself one night by putting drop lights in the engine compartment, facing the space between the upper and lower swim platform sections. I did not see any white light around the seems but I did see a strange orange glow in areas where the fiberglass is thinner.
Hopefully I will get to try your method in the next few evenings.

Thanks Again,

Steve

Like Post Reply
Chris,

I tried your suggestion last night and had my wife shine a very bright light around the rub-rail while I sat in a dark engine room, but no luck seeing any light penetration. I do think that is where the water is coming from and I will try get this resealed before the warranty expires.

Thanks for your help,

Steve
Like Post Reply
Steve,

I agree, that is still likely where the water is coming from. It could be the water pressure forces the shoe box joint open enough to spray water, but when static is closes tight. A garden hose is about 5 to 7 PSI. I imagine the force of the water when planning is likely much higher.

Good Luck and let us know how it works out.
Chris Burkard
[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]
Like Post Reply
I think you're on the money with the platform suggestion. I have an '05 36 Sovran - it could be bone dry for weeks sitting in the slip, and as soon as we ran the boat I got water in the bilge. After much investigation and a lot of time and frustration, I figured out it was coming from the platform. I can open up an access hatch in my transom locker and stick my head in to look into my platform. I took everything out of the transom locker for easy access, made sure the bilge was dry and went for a ride. We rode for a while and then I had a buddy keep an eye on the helm and I stuck my head in and looked while we idled around. Sure enough, a stream(s) of water was coming through the rub rail. I finally broke down last winter and pulled the back portion of the rail off and scraped and resealed everything. I've eliminated about 90+% of the leak. It was a big job so I've held off removing the rest, but what a relief to figure it out. I will also mention, when I bought the boat used, I was finding water under the motors (compartmentalized), so I started checking raw water lines and found the main raw water hoses for both motors were drying out and weeping water. A little scary to think what could happen, and how quickly you could fill a bilge or ruin a motor should one fail completely. I replaced all of them and have had no problems since. It definitely pays to keep an eye on the stuff that "appears" to be problem free.
Like Post Reply
Jeff,

I appreciate your comments. I hope I can convince Tiara that this is the problem. I am going to try to set up an appointment for the boat's first year service in April or May and address this issue then. I am sure they are aware this can happen.

Thank's

Steve
Like Post Reply
Well it appears we have discovered the source of the salt water intrusion into the engine compartment.
The ladder recess has four rubber bumpers around the ladder. These bumpers were not sealed and anytime water would reach the top of the swim platform some of it would drain through these attachments. This was discovered by a brave soul willing to ride with the engines while I took the boat through various speeds in and out of planing. We'll get it back into the water next week and see how we did.
I appreciate all the comments and suggestions from the board membership, helping me resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Steve
Like Post Reply
I wanted to update my water leak issue. Turns out the ladder bumpers were just one of three leaks on the boat. The major contributor to the salt water found in the engine room was the trim tabs. I have the Volvo Blade type trim tabs that project straight down. This is why I would only see water after running at plane. The force of the water against the projected blade was causing the water to be forced into the boat through the electrical pass-through in the transom. This appears to have been caused by a gasket failure, perhaps due to insufficient sealer application at time of installation. After replacing both units no more salt water leaks.
I also discovered a fresh water leak caused by a leaking T fitting on top of the port side fresh water saddle tank. After filling the tanks the water in the fill lines would back flow through a crack in this fitting, approx. two gallons or so then stop when the water level dropped below the crack. Until I searched for this leak I thought the boat only had one water tank not three. Anyway replaced the fitting no more leaks.
Again, thanks to everyone for all their suggestions in tracking this down.

Steve
Like Post Reply