Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to find water heater valves?
The manual for my 2002 3100 Open states to:

"Close/open the valves of at the water heater bypass" when commissioning the fresh water system.

It also states to "Drain water from the water heater by opening the valve on the bottom of the water heater and letting the water drain into the bilge" in the Storage and Winterizing Your Boat section.

Below are pics of my water heater.  Which valves are they referring to?  I couldn't find an valve on the bottom of the heater.  Any help would be appreciated!

Thumbnail(s)

Like Post Reply

Your picture shows an arrow to the System Pressure relief valve.... It's set to open automatically if the pressure in the tank/system goes to high.... Not sure what it is set to but that is NOT the way to drain the tank for winterization..... The valve you are looking for is also shown (slightly) below brass pipe coming out of the heater on the left in your picture.. It's normally a gray plasic valve....
Like Post Reply
(05-09-2018, 02:43 PM)ReelMagic Wrote: Your picture shows an arrow to the System Pressure relief valve.... It's set to open automatically if the pressure in the tank/system goes to high.... Not sure what it is set to but that is NOT the way to drain the tank for winterization..... The valve you are looking for is also shown (slightly) below brass pipe coming out of the heater on the left in your picture.. It's normally a gray plasic valve....

Thank you!  I assume you're referring to the valve I've circled here?  Is that the valve to drain for winterizing or the valve for the water heater bypass or both?

Thumbnail(s)

Like Post Reply
Yes.. Believe it's gray plastic....I drain my tank every year using that valve as part of the winterization process.. Rotating the 2 other valve handles 90 degrees isolates the water heater from the rest of the system.... The reason they provide that capability is to ensure any NON-TOX used to winterize the water system doesn't get into the water heater as it will leave a funny taste and smell when water is used through the water heater the following year...The taste/smell is hard to get rid of as well
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReelMagic's post:
dsendre (05-09-2018)
Like Post Reply
(05-09-2018, 03:14 PM)ReelMagic Wrote: Yes.. Believe it's gray plastic....I drain my tank every year using that valve as part of the winterization process.. Rotating the 2 other valve handles 90 degrees isolates the water heater from the rest of the system.... The reason they provide that capability is to ensure any NON-TOX used to winterize the water system doesn't get into the water heater as it will leave a funny taste and smell when water is used through the water heater the following year...The taste/smell is hard to get rid of as well

Awesome. Thanks again!
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2018 38LS Black water tank location Scottbee 1 494 03-11-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Scottbee
  41 Open AC water pump vapor lock esf 3 548 08-07-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: esf
  1993 4300 open waste and water level indicators bpro 1 1,923 08-07-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: esf
  Hot Water Heater for Tiara 2700 stanfarbman 0 443 06-07-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: stanfarbman
  39 Coronet water pressure issue d5dekeyser 2 1,382 08-02-2022, 05:50 PM
Last Post: MC1600