Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storing power cords....ideas?
I have a 3200 with what feels like 2 miles worth of power cables.   I typically wrestle them in the compartment just to the left of the outside refrigerator.  Obviously, with a boat this size, dedicated space for this is a premium. 

My question......Has anyone come up with an easy way to store these cables?   Secondly, how long do the cables really need to be?   Mine have to be at least 50' long......which I've never had to use in the 10 years we've had the boat.
Like Post Reply

Several solutions to your problem... You can install a glendenning cable master for each power cable which will feed out only the amount of cable needed. Not sure if the 32 uses two 30 amp cables or a single 50 amp..It's an expensive solution but makes life easier...Here' a link to Glendenningr: [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]. A second option is to use 25' cables instead of 50'.. Where we cruise I've found most marinas have power pedestals within 25'.. Half the cable half the weight...  I use to own a 31' Open and found the 25' cables enough although I carried a second 25' just in case... I now own a 38' Open which has a 50 amp Glendenning Cable Master and its really easy to use and makes connecting to shore power easy.. M2C
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReelMagic's post:
bsause (02-22-2019)
Like Post Reply
I coil them up and put them under my starboard fishbox right behind the muffler.
Like Post Reply
My 41 has the glendining reel and it is great. On my old boat i had 2 sets. One I always left at the slip and just disconnected it from the boat. The other I kept stored for overnighting at other marinas. That way I wasn't messing around with them if I didn't have to.
Like Post Reply
Appreciate the responses. The reels look nice, but not sure where I could fit that on my boat.

I'll probably just go with shorter cables......and maybe dedicate that smaller fish box to it.
Like Post Reply
I have set up mine to 'hang' under the starboard side gunnel and only peel off what is needed. I would never switch to shorter cables as we make trips to the Bahamas and you never know how long of a cord you will need. I have had to peel all 50' off several times as the pedestal for my slip was not functioning, typical Bahamas. I used a starboard hangers for this, kind of like a water hose coil for your house only smaller profile. Keep them out of the way and I leave the connection on the boat connected, remove from the pedestal, coil, and away we go. If I had a photo I would post it but I don't at the moment.
Tom
Like Post Reply
I use a splitter and just one cord which coils neatly on the floor in the transom door opening. The part that goes to the plugs runs along the gutter in the side of the cock pit. If you keep it clean, the white blends in and it is out of the way. You do need to manage your power usage. I agree with the advice to stay with 50 feet if you can. We keep the unused extra cord in the fish box.
Like Post Reply
You can get a cable caddy west marine has them. Also check amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shore Power - Hazard Avail Light? Newbie7749 1 769 06-12-2022, 09:41 PM
Last Post: MC1600
  [Tiara Sovran] Charging batteries with 30A/110 house power? Lillikat 4 1,737 12-19-2021, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Lillikat
  [Tiara Open] No power to midship bilge pump 2004 3100 open tim11.tjb 2 1,339 06-22-2021, 07:16 AM
Last Post: tim11.tjb
  [Tiara Open] Engine hatch stuck open - 2014 Tiara 36 open. Any ideas? lesliepawlak@yahoo.com 5 2,144 05-02-2021, 02:48 AM
Last Post: Best Team
Question [Tiara Convertible] Engine Battery Charger AC Power Issue ShooktheHook 4 1,977 01-25-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: ShooktheHook