Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiara Open Best IOS Navigation App
Can anyone tell me their opinion on the best navigation app for apple devices? I’ve heard it might be Navionics but the app descriptions seem to indicate they are being discontinued. If it is Navionics, can anyone give me the detailed app name? Just looking for back-up navigation to Ray marine system. We primarily cruise Lake Erie to Lake Huron in the Great Lakes. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply

Navionics came out with an HD version of their app. Name is Navionics Boating HD Marine & Lakes. You were probably looking at the non HD version which I believe is being discontinued. The ad's can be annoying, but as a backup, it should work.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply
Thanks for the response and info. I will take a look at Navionics HD. This forum is great and I’ve always gotten quick responses and good info.

Like Post Reply
(04-08-2019, 07:12 PM)MichFan Wrote: Thanks for the response and info. I will take a look at Navionics HD.  This forum is great and I’ve always gotten quick responses and good info.

I'll double down on the Navionics app.  We used it from the Bahamas and back to FL, get app.  It can even bluetooth to a bigger screen if you screen has blue tooth.
Like Post Reply
Agreed Navionics Boating App (formerly US Canada) is really awesome. I have a 2006 38’ Open with original electrics and use my phone during long cruises all the time.

Good luck.

Like Post Reply
I upgraded my Northstar GPS/Chart plotter several years ago with a Garmin 7612 GPS/Chart Plotter. I agree the Navionics App was extremely usefully with the Northstar and transferred waypoins &  routes between both. Now with the Garmin 7612 I use Homeport (on PC) and Active Captain on my IOS devices... Share Waypoints & Routes between all devices. Active Captain/Helm allows the use of IOS devices as additional displays... IOS devices become fully functional devices for navigation.... Also, when integrated via Bluetooth technology the Garmin 7612 supports text messages and cell calls.. Presents display of text messages on the bottom of the display. Additionally, it displays calling info for received phone calls and allows you to answer the phone....Its great as I wouldn't hear the phone ring  or if a text message was received when running. My 2nd GPS/Chart plotter is Furuno which provides my radar capability. A Simrad autopilot, Standard Horizon VHF, and Simrad digital depthfinder round out the dash... All in all I like my electronics..... M2C
Like Post Reply
I too have the Garmin 7612-how do you share your iPad Navionics data?  I would like to do that as then the Garmin will work with the autopilot.

Thanks in advance for your help- Dallas
Like Post Reply
If you buy the Navionics chart for your plotter, you can synchronize between the App and your plotter.  I have found the Navionics charts to be far superior to Lighthouse charts or C-MAP (at least the basic one) that come with Raymarin's Axiom.  I use the sonar chart for fishing and the regular chart for navigation and love both of them.
Like Post Reply
Navionics is awesome

[-] The following 1 user Likes bsause's post:
sluggo (07-20-2020)
Like Post Reply