Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Tank Issue
Good Morning - I have a 1988 2600 with 260HP mercruiser in great shape.  Couple of weeks ago I started out for a cruise with family and friends in pretty busy waters making the boat roll quite a bit.  Engine just died on me.  Wouldn't restart.  Fuel gauge bounces between 1/4 and over 1/2 and has never given me an issue.  I have made fuel runs when the gauge is damn near on empty.  Sea Tow came and the guy bet me I was out of gas and put 5 gallons or so in.  Motor fired right up and then proceeded to die within seconds.  Would not, and has not restarted.

Replaced fuel filter.  Clean fuel in there.  Tried to restart and there simply is no fuel getting to carb.  No fuel in new filter.  Figured its the fuel pump (mechanical).  Yesterday, I took the fuel hose off the motor and blew in it (thinking maybe I sucked up debris).

When I blow in the tube I don't hear the bubbling and gurgling of gasoline - rather - its just air passing into the tank!

Fuel pick up rod broken?  What gives?  I REALLY don't think I have an empty tank as I just put in 30 gallons or so before the illfated voyage.

Thanks for any help!

Mike
Like Post Reply

If you are blowing in and no bubbling it is possible that the pick up tube is broken off. Over time especially if you keep the tank low on fuel it can break off. With lower fuel levels more fuel movement is possible and while it is sloshing back and forth it will put a lot of pressure on the lower end of the tube and cause more torque on it.

Remove the fuel sender and see if you can use a flashlight to look in and view the pickup tube. You may need to buy a lighted flexable scope. I have one that Bluetooths into my cell phone.
Like Post Reply
Excellent - thank you - this is my feeling. I’ll make sure to report back and close the thread.
Like Post Reply
(08-20-2020, 07:47 AM)mcmahome Wrote: Good Morning - I have a 1988 2600 with 260HP mercruiser in great shape.  Couple of weeks ago I started out for a cruise with family and friends in pretty busy waters making the boat roll quite a bit.  Engine just died on me.  Wouldn't restart.  Fuel gauge bounces between 1/4 and over 1/2 and has never given me an issue.  I have made fuel runs when the gauge is damn near on empty.  Sea Tow came and the guy bet me I was out of gas and put 5 gallons or so in.  Motor fired right up and then proceeded to die within seconds.  Would not, and has not restarted.

Replaced fuel filter.  Clean fuel in there.  Tried to restart and there simply is no fuel getting to carb.  No fuel in new filter.  Figured its the fuel pump (mechanical).  Yesterday, I took the fuel hose off the motor and blew in it (thinking maybe I sucked up debris).

When I blow in the tube I don't hear the bubbling and gurgling of gasoline - rather - its just air passing into the tank!

Fuel pick up rod broken?  What gives?  I REALLY don't think I have an empty tank as I just put in 30 gallons or so before the illfated voyage.

Thanks for any help!

Mike

Wanted to report back and close this thread.  I guess I "heard" what I wanted to "hear."  When the floor was pulled up and I blew into the fuel hose my brother immediately heard the bubbling and gurgling of gasoline.  So, we pulled the fuel pump and sure enough she was the original - and she was shot.  Spent most of Saturday on the install and she's running beautifully.  Lesson learned! Bang Head
Like Post Reply
Cool Beans. Much better (and cheaper) than having to pull the tank.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Waste Holding tank replacement danllovi 9 7,224 03-18-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: Aashvi78
  [Tiara Open] 3800 Open Fresh Water Tank Mineral Deposits twilson0929 6 549 12-12-2023, 03:52 PM
Last Post: hiccup
  Holding tank 3500 exp. giff1 2 1,381 05-16-2022, 11:47 AM
Last Post: neto
  High fuel consumption Xcount10 3 3,834 10-06-2020, 07:18 PM
Last Post: jimwensink
  3100 fuel efficiency Coppifan 5 4,941 08-23-2020, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Chesfisherman1