Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official Number
this is gonna sound like a dumb question, but either I am blind, or Tiara has done a really excellent job of hiding the official number. Any clue where it is on the Sovran 3900?
Like Post Reply

Are you speaking of the Hull ID#? If memory serves me it was stamped into the gel coat on the starboard side just outboard of the cockpit entrance when boarding from the swim platform.
Like Post Reply
I did a Google search for this ---------------
WHAT, AND WHERE IS THE HIN ON A MOTORBOAT?
The HIN is the Hull Identification Number assigned to the boat. Each HIN is unique to that boat, and is the same
as the VIN on a motor vehicle.
All boats manufactured after 1972 have a HIN consisting of 12 characters as required by the Federal Boat Safety
Act of 1972. The 12 characters are continuous and uninterrupted by slashes, hyphens, or spaces. The first three
characters are letters that form a code for the manufacturer (e.g. KAW is the beginning of a Kawasaki HIN.
Other manufacturers have other letters, but all HINs begin with three letters). After the first three letters, the rest
of the digits will usually be numbers.
The HIN will be at least 1/4 inch high and permanently affixed to the boat. Its removal would cause permanent
scarring. It is part of the hull, and it is not on any item that is removable. It is not on the engine (although
engines do have similar serial numbers.)
There are two identical HINs on the boat, a primary and a secondary.
?? THE PRIMARY HIN SHOULD BE AFFIXED TO:
Like Post Reply
do you mean the documentation number? i can't actually find mine either and the boat was documented before me. I think i need to have one made.
Like Post Reply
Every boat must have a Hull Identification Number (HIN). Not every boat is documented. Doc #'s must be permanently attached to a main beam in the boat, usually on an engine stringer in the aft end of the vessel. HIN numbers are from the manufacturer, Doc #'s are from the Coast Guard. Capt. George
Like Post Reply
Lots of Documentation Companies will document the boat for you but few will provide a sign board or instructions on permanently affixing this number to the hull. The cheap way to do this is go to your marine supply store and buy the Black stick on numbers you can use for applying the state registration numbers to your external hull. Then apply them to a stringer or some location that is visible in the engine room. To make them permenant, put a coat of West System Epoxy over them.
The Proper way to Show these is

"NO.1234567"

The NO. belongs there followed by your official number. The Coast Guard calls this the "Official Number" . The documentation number never changes as it goes from owner to owner. It stay's with the boat for life.
It is possible and probable the boat has been documented and the number was never put on the boat.
Like Post Reply
thanks, i think i've looked everywhere for it.
Like Post Reply
RickT, thanks. That's the answer I was looking for.
Like Post Reply
The Coast Guard Documention Center has a great website where you can get just about everything you need to know about documentation. You can also look up documentation information by documention number or boat name. If you don't have either, you can call their office (they used to be friendly and helpful) with the hull number and they will provide the Official Number they have on record. Their website:

[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

if you have any more questions you can email me - happy to help

rick_traskos@prodigy.net

RT
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Number of batteries in 1998 3500 express Jpendejo 10 5,915 02-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: JMGCINCY2023
  Need replacement parts number for zincs Coppifan 2 2,330 01-05-2019, 02:02 PM
Last Post: ReelMagic