Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiara 2900 Open- Windlass
Hey Guys,
I have a 1997 Tiara 2900 Open with a factory installed maxwell windlass. I currently have no power to the windlass. After reading the manual it states there should be a breaker under the step next to the battery switches... Well this breaker isn't there. Reading through the manual for the windlass it states there should be a very large breaker very close to the battery. I cannot find it! Any insight on where this magical windlass breaker might be?
-TJ Willacker
Like Post Reply

(11-15-2014, 02:54 PM)twill23 Wrote: Hey Guys,
I have a 1997 Tiara 2900 Open with a factory installed maxwell windlass. I currently have no power to the windlass. After reading the manual it states there should be a breaker under the step next to the battery switches... Well this breaker isn't there. Reading through the manual for the windlass it states there should be a very large breaker very close to the battery. I cannot find it! Any insight on where this magical windlass breaker might be?
-TJ Willacker

On my present boat and previous boats the breaker for the windlass is an unusual looking breaker. It is black and has a red "button" that is the reset.  Check next to the battery selector switch.
Like Post Reply
Not sure of your specific vessel, but a lot of times "auto reset" breakers are used by the riggers. They are only about half the size of a match box, so unfortunately they could be just about anywhere along the wire run. I've even found them behind the breaker panel in the cabin. You may be resolved to doing a wire trace from the windlass back, time consuming to say the least! Good luck.
Like Post Reply
O Boy, I'll run over to the storage building on monday and see if there's a small one somewhere im missing outside of the engine room.
The boat manual says it's supposed to be next to the battery switches, but unless im insane, which is totally possible, i just dont see it. i'll try looking behind the breaker panel, as i have a light bulb out on the volt meter anyway. Thanks a ton.
Like Post Reply
The breaker on my 3200 windlass (also a Maxwell) is under the steps to the salon. It does not look like a traditional breaker. It is a round, dark reddish colored knob. It has to be pushed with a sharp tap to engage, and pulled to turn it off, again with a sharp tug. I may have the on and off backwards since I don't have access to the boat now that it is in storage. It takes some getting used to on the 3200 as the force to activate it makes you think you could break it the first time you use it. Yours may be the same.
Like Post Reply
The Tiara 2900 Open windlass breaker should be under the cabin steps. As mentioned above, it should be a round Knob (red - anodized aluminum) about the size of a Half Dollar Coin around. I believe you pull it out to disengage and push it in to engage. As mentioned above, it may require a sharp tap to get it to go. It will not be a small breaker. The small breaker set ups are usually designed with a relay, so that a small breaker may be used, but Tiara never did this from the factory on the smaller boats.

There is a solenoid up in your anchor locker that could be your problem. These solenoids can become corroded and get stuck. Sometimes a quick sharp tap with a mallet can get them to work. Poke your head in the anchor locker and see what the connections look like.
Chris Burkard
[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]
Like Post Reply
I believe mine is under the top step. I missed seeing it when the same thing happened to me. It's a push pull with a very short throw. Don't be afraid to put some umpf into it. Smile
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Open] 2900 open - cup holder above dinette North000 0 89 05-09-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: North000
  Battery Charger issue 04' 32 open Coastie57 2 225 04-24-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Matta0413
  [Tiara Open] 1991 Tiara 33 San00 0 250 04-03-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: San00
  2005- 3600 Open Center Windshield Wiper Motor Cover Replacement Tminus3 1 348 03-30-2024, 08:03 AM
Last Post: Makoman
  2005 Tiara 2900 Open Classic shaft size wlizondro 1 508 03-18-2024, 02:45 PM
Last Post: HIGH SPIRTED