Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
End of Season Oil Change
Question, our boat has Cummins 6BTA engines.  I live about a 2 hour run from my storage location and am thinking about changing the fluids at the dock then running the boat to storage.  Any idea if running a couple hours with new oil then storing the boat over winter will have any negative effects vs changing the oil just before storage so there is next to no time running with new oil??

Thanks for any input.
Kent
Kent
1999 Tiara 35 Open, Cummins
Like Post Reply

(10-04-2015, 07:04 AM)torchlake99 Wrote: Question, our boat has Cummins 6BTA engines.  I live about a 2 hour run from my storage location and am thinking about changing the fluids at the dock then running the boat to storage.  Any idea if running a couple hours with new oil then storing the boat over winter will have any negative effects vs changing the oil just before storage so there is next to no time running with new oil??

Thanks for any input.
Kent

No real appreciable difference except for the 2 hour run will get the oil fully warmed and all particles will be suspended.  a lot more than warming it up at the dock.  just leave an hour early and do it at the storage location.  Big Grin
Like Post Reply
(10-04-2015, 07:04 AM)torchlake99 Wrote: Question, our boat has Cummins 6BTA engines.  I live about a 2 hour run from my storage location and am thinking about changing the fluids at the dock then running the boat to storage.  Any idea if running a couple hours with new oil then storing the boat over winter will have any negative effects vs changing the oil just before storage so there is next to no time running with new oil??

Thanks for any input.
Kent

One of the main reasons to change the oil prior to storage with diesel motors is to keep the sulfur levels  in the oil down over the storage period so they do not attack the engine seals.  I would not worry about a 2 hour run, the oil may turn color with a 2 hour run but will still be clean and relatively sulfur free. You could try to do it after your run to the storage facility but it would likely be too hot for a few hours.
Like Post Reply
Thanks!  Narrow window when they pick up the boat so will change before .  Two hour run should not should not be a problem.
Kent
1999 Tiara 35 Open, Cummins
Like Post Reply
I had the same conversation last week with a Cat mechanic with regard to by boat (Cat C12's).  He said the hour or 2 of run time wasn't an issue...  
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oil change system honest mark 6 4,281 01-20-2023, 07:32 AM
Last Post: MC1600
  44 Coupe - change to different anchor? kysloc4 3 1,148 12-03-2022, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Sans Peur
  Transmission Oil Change Russf 2 2,993 02-25-2017, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Russf
  spark plug change pwilbur 5 4,546 03-28-2015, 03:26 PM
Last Post: justrollin
  Fuel Control Cell (FCC) Fuel FILTER CHANGE mikefromlb 1 2,651 01-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Last Post: Uhehner