Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water Damaged Flooring
The line to our ice maker cracked and leaked onto the floor in the galley. The teak and holly is now cupped and stained. Rather than attempt to piece in replacement wood, I though about using corian in that area similar to tile in a kitchen. Anyone have experience with repairing their flooring? Is it hard to peel the wood off of the fiberglass substrate? Thanks
Like Post Reply

Do you have the veneer teak & holly or the solid plank tongue and groove?

If it is solid, the floor was built outside the vessel plank by plank and then glued and vacuum bagged to aid the adhesion. I'm guessing it is going to be somewhat difficult to pry up. the other issue is that he floor was placed in and then everything was installed over and around it. Not impossible, but difficult.

If it is veneer, then it shouldn't be that hard to scrape it up. The Corian is going to be very slippery unless you can figure how to get a non-skid finish on it. I would think that veneer would not be that hard to replace.

Wood floors can be repaired by a skilled craftsperson. The finish can be stripped, discoloration bleached, warping undone with a steamer and so on. You just have to find the right person to do the job.
Chris Burkard
[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]
Like Post Reply
Chris. It's a 2001 5200 express. I would say its the true flooring vs. veneer and yes, everything has been installed over it. Agree on the Corian. I would place a non-skid rug over most of it if I went that way. I am encouraged that you feel the wood can be repaired. I will go that route first.

Thanks John
Like Post Reply
Nice information gentlemen.
What is the better, or more desirable option to have in your boat? Veneer teak & holly or the solid plank tongue and groove?
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  50/53 Coupe and Fly Owners Group-Rain Water in Bilge Sapphire 3 361 02-11-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: hiccup
  [Tiara Open] 1991 Tiara has no water flow. gybe24 1 445 09-06-2023, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Misdirection
  Where is Water Coming In? Newbie7749 3 853 08-07-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Newbie7749
  [Tiara Open] Tiara 41 Open Water in forward bilge esf 4 803 08-02-2023, 08:59 PM
Last Post: Sans Peur
  water in bildge honest mark 12 3,017 07-22-2023, 11:32 AM
Last Post: honest mark