Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transom Door
When prepping our 3200 open for winterization I noticed the transom door was rubbing on the transom when shutting.  I do have some seams on the door that are popping most likely to water and expanding the aluminum.  Has anyone successfully repaired this? what would be the process?
Like Post Reply

Not aware of any aluminum on or near the transom door on my 32. Have you checked the hinge screws for tightness? If that doesn't work it's possible to remove one or both hinges and slightly bend them to bring the door closer to the hinge side.
Like Post Reply

(11-24-2021, 07:46 AM)reeltimebrad Wrote: Not aware of any aluminum on or near the transom door on my 32. Have you checked the hinge screws for tightness? If that doesn't work it's possible to remove one or both hinges and slightly bend them to bring the door closer to the hinge side.

See attached photo

Thumbnail(s)

Like Post Reply
Looks like saltwater must have gotten through to the backing plate. You'll need to find a good fiberglass shop and have the plate removed and remade from 316 stainless. Should be a relatively simple job since it's easy to remove the door and bring it to someone.
Like Post Reply
Inserting a 316 plate is unnecessary and not ideal. Your core has gotten water. Do a full fiberglass repair after removing the hardware. Any good fiberglass person can do it and ensure there is no water getting in in the future. If you want to go nuts, embed a plate of G10 instead of the core where the hinges attach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply
There is a aluminum plate that the hinges are threaded into that is corroding and swelling up that's why it's cracking. Get rid of the aluminum and get it sealed up.
Like Post Reply
You will have to remove all the corrosion using the necessary tools, and apply a new layer of paint on it. This how my dad was always doing, he had a workshop where he was repairing boats, and as a regular guest, I've seen how different problems were solved, I still keep them in my mind. I don't like to repair boats, I only like riding them, so when I am going on vacation, I usually take a [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register] with my entire family, and spend the time with pleasure.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Open] Sliding cabin door drifter 0 358 09-06-2023, 01:53 PM
Last Post: drifter
  Round Black Door Latches Matta0413 3 600 07-18-2023, 07:58 AM
Last Post: hiccup
  Tiara 2700 cabin sliding door stanfarbman 0 330 07-03-2023, 11:40 PM
Last Post: stanfarbman
  Sliding door Sea Lion 9 7,672 06-12-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Adambradleyy
  [Tiara Open] cabin door 2018roadglide 0 346 05-21-2023, 08:38 PM