Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
2004 Tiara 38 Open Hot water heater concerns
#1
[attachment=1193]

Hi All,

I have an 04 38 Open with a Seaward-F1100-W hot water heater, and I'm not getting any hot water.  My concern is there is no water in the water heater.  Is there a better way to know other than turning any of the faucets to the hot side only and verifying water flow?

I think I have the valves set correctly...the drain valve is closed, the pressure valve is closed and the two ball valves are set in line with the pipe work, see image below.  Can anyone verify that this is the correct way to set the valves.

I did verify that the "High temp limit switch" is not popped.  I didn't have a meter with me to verify 110V at the heater, but will do that tomorrow.   

Any basic assistance on this is appreciated.

Regards,
Don


   
Like Post Reply

#2
How do you know you're not getting hot water if you didn't run it thru a fawcett?

If it is empty and you turned the heater on, you may have burned out your heating element.

And I think the handle on the valve with the hot water needs turned. That would be the hot out and that water needs to flow to the red line, not the blue line.



Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply
#3
The valves are in the correct position.

The two ways to tell if there's water in it are to open a hot water tap or to turn off the freshwater pumps, depressurize the system (run a faucet either hot or cold until it stops), and open the drain valve. Not sure why you wouldn't just turn the hot water tap on though.
Like Post Reply
#4
Thank you Misdirection.

Sorry for any confusion. I did run water through just the hot side of the faucets, and water did flow. But the water is always cold.

I will change the direction of the hot water out valve and see if that's it.
Like Post Reply
#5
If the by pass valves are set incorrectly you will get water but it will be cold. If you open the drain on the water heater does any water come out? If no water comes out of the drain valve then no water is getting into the water heater.
Like Post Reply
#6
I've attached a picture of the water heater on my 2003 38 Open in the normal position (not by-pass) and assume yours is the same. As stated in several replies if the tank was empty and you turned on the water heater circuit breaker (with no water in tank) you most likely burned out the heating coil.. As the water heater also circulates water from the starboard engine through the water heater when its running you should have hot water after running for a period of time at cruise RPM..

I took a longer look at your picture and it appears the supply water (blue hose) coming from the water source is wrong (or at least its different from mine)... My water supply (blue) goes to the bottom of the 3 way valve.. The bottom of your 3 way valve has NO blue hose connected to it..... It's possible your cold water supply is going to the wrong place on the tank

Like Post Reply
#7
Thank you all for your assistance. The issue was the cold in and hot out lines were not connected after the marina winterized. I saw that after a very close look. I reconnected the lines correctly, and got water in the tank. Amazingly, even after running without any water for some time, the element was is still good and we are making hot water.

All is well.

Thanks again,
Don
[-] The following 1 user Likes DonH's post:
Misdirection (05-26-2023)
Like Post Reply
  


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for Help with Fuel Vent Issue - Tiara 2700 (1988) kahunamax 0 50 Yesterday, 04:53 PM
Last Post: kahunamax
  38 open bathroom recessed light bulb twilson0929 3 498 08-26-2026, 06:22 AM
Last Post: twilson0929
  Replacement of Carbon Filter on vent line from Holding Tank. 38 Open ReelMagic 1 400 08-18-2026, 02:11 PM
Last Post: hiccup
  Tiara 52 Sovran Salon Keel Question Knot On Call 2 540 08-17-2026, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Bford100
  2001 38’ Open interior table base removal twilson0929 3 782 07-07-2026, 08:13 AM
Last Post: hiccup



Users browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

2004 Tiara 38 Open Hot water heater concerns00