Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maxwell Windlass Freedom 500
Windlass stopped working.
Any thoughts on how to test if it is solenoid or motor?
Can I put voltage across motor to see if it is working?
How do you test a solenoid?
Like Post Reply

(04-26-2016, 07:58 PM)Betterdays123 Wrote: Windlass stopped working.
Any thoughts on how to test if it is solenoid or motor?
Can I put voltage across motor to see if it is working?
How do you test a solenoid?

What year and model boat is this on?

You should be able to determine if it is the motor by using a meter on the leads coming from the reversing solenoid and having someone engage the switch.  Obviously if there is power than it is the motor.  In all likelihood it is the solenoid.  On most models it is installed in the anchor locker which is not recommended by Maxwell due to the high amount of moisture present.  The solenoid simply corrodes and fails.  It is a pretty easy swap.
Like Post Reply
Thanks for the reply.
It is on a 2004 Tiara3200
Not only is it mounted in the anchor locker, it was installed before the hull and topsides were joined by Tiara.
I can see the installers in 2004 laughing at the guy who was going to have to change it out.
Same went for the Spotlight electronics.  Just getting to the components was near impossible!

You should be able to determine if it is the motor by using a meter on the leads coming from the reversing solenoid and having someone engage the switch.  Obviously if there is power than it is the motor.  In all likelihood it is the solenoid.  On most models it is installed in the anchor locker which is not recommended by Maxwell due to the high amount of moisture present.  The solenoid simply corrodes and fails.  It is a pretty easy swap.
[/quote]
Like Post Reply
(04-27-2016, 02:19 PM)Betterdays123 Wrote: Thanks for the reply.
It is on a 2004 Tiara3200
Not only is it mounted in the anchor locker, it was installed before the hull and topsides were joined by Tiara.
I can see the installers in 2004 laughing at the guy who was going to have to change it out.
Same went for the Spotlight electronics.  Just getting to the components was near impossible!

[/quote]

I did it on my 35 Open, had to get completely in the anchor locker which was no easy task for someone 6' 210#.  Getting out was another story all together.  Not only are you trying to work with your knees into your chest, you are working over your head the entire time.  Have no seen the anchor locker on the 32 but I am sure it is even tighter than the 35'.  I discovered my issue when the boat was in storage; I had run all the chain and rode out in the fall to thoroughly clean the locker and ground tackle and when I went to run it back in nothing.  The advantage was that the locker was empty and also completely clean.  I would suggest taking your winch handle and loosening the clutch and let the chain and rode all the way out manually to give yourself more room.
Like Post Reply
Meter tests the solenoid and u can test motor with a jump pack too. My dock neighbor's '07 30 Open has same issue. We tested it late last season - it was the solenoid. He ordered new one from defender.com. Swapping it out this weekend.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Open] Windlass docs mc307tank 0 270 09-22-2023, 08:28 PM
Last Post: mc307tank
  [Tiara Open] Installing windlass mc307tank 0 354 04-25-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: mc307tank
  [Tiara Open] Installing windlass mc307tank 3 763 03-05-2023, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Misdirection
  [Tiara Convertible] Tiara 1990 36 Convertible Windlass Installation Tiara 3600 2 1,133 05-09-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Misdirection
  Which Maxwell windlass do I have? recppd 7 4,353 03-28-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: hiccup