Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiara Sovran 2008 4300
I am looking at a 2008 Sovran 4300 with IPS 600 pods.  Being new to pod propulsion, I was told that it is important to update the system to current standards.  The cost is around $10,000, which is more that I wanted to spend in addition to the boat purchase.  If the boat runs fine, is it necessary to perform the upgrade?
Thanks,
Scott
Like Post Reply

The upgrade to improve or move the cap of the engine strainers should be done. The upgrade to change the pulleys should be done.
Like Post Reply
(04-26-2017, 02:16 PM)mobil1 Wrote: I am looking at a 2008 Sovran 4300 with IPS 600 pods.  Being new to pod propulsion, I was told that it is important to update the system to current standards.  The cost is around $10,000, which is more that I wanted to spend in addition to the boat purchase.  If the boat runs fine, is it necessary to perform the upgrade?
Thanks,
Scott

Hi, $10,000.00 sounds light for the updates. Hell a annual service is half that. Can you get a list of the work being done for $10K

I just posted this reply for Bob who is looking at a 3900 IPS Sovran.....

IPS is great. It takes all the fear out of docking especially in the wind.

There are some things you should look out for on the early IPS Models. Luckily all the shortcomings can be updated.

1. (this is the big one) Have the drive seals been updated to the newest standard? If they haven't the whole drive has to be disassembled to remove the original style seal. Once there updated they can then be easily replaced. Last one I did was $15,000 to bring

2. Have the sea strainers been updated? The original screw on cap style strainers would leak down onto the alternators in the front of the motor. The fix is to relocate/retro a standard sea strainer away from the motor or replace the Volvo strainer with the updated model that uses 4 hand tightened bolts to lock down the sight glass.

3. Early motors had a plastic pulley on the front of the engine this needs to be replace with the steel one. Also I'm very sure the idler pulley is supposed to be changed every five years or so and it's not cheap.

4. (big one 2.0) Has the whole cooling system been removed and serviced? If so how long ago? It should be done every 5 years like clockwork. If its been neglected things can get very expensive very quickly. After Coolers are $6500 each and sometimes really hard to find.

5. Make sure to have the drives premiered and bottom painted and propspeed applied to the props. You can loss 3 knots + if you have growth on your props.

6. Have your Volvo dealer quote you the price of your annual service for engines and drives. This should include a haul out.

7. Add the Volvo Line Cutters to the drives in there not on the drive already.

8. Idler pullers should be changed every 600 hours or your belts will snap.

With all this being said I'm a huge fan of IPS and make a good portion of my yearly income selling boats with this system. The cost of ownership is higher but its offset by fuel savings and being able to use your boat as easily as a 13' whaler. People with IPS boats tend to use them much more and never need crew/help with docking.

Best Regards,

Ben
Like Post Reply
Ben, thank you for that information.  I do not believe any upgrade have taken place.
Scott
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Sovran] 2008 IPS 600 kesaxman 0 537 12-05-2022, 04:53 PM
Last Post: kesaxman
  [Tiara Convertible] 1993 Tiara Convertible 4300 - Ladner BC Reynold 2 1,711 09-19-2021, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Bigdrew
  2008 3900 Sovran DAlbers 2 1,560 07-12-2021, 01:50 PM
Last Post: DAlbers
  [Tiara Sovran] 2008 Captaincreg 1 1,064 10-06-2020, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Maxwell
  [Tiara Convertible] New owner of 2008 Tiara 3900 Convertible Triumph 1 1,575 12-16-2019, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Capt. Paul