Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2009 Volvo IPS Problems?
Im looking at a 2009 3500 Sovran. Im being told these "earlier model" Volvo IPS pods had a number of problems that have been corrected in later models. Is this true? Is there somewhere I can locate what improvements were made (and when) to see what has been changed after '09?
Like Post Reply

Hi HB,

I just posted this reply for Bob who is looking at a 3900 IPS Sovran.....

Bob, IPS is great. It takes all the fear out of docking especially in the wind.

There are some things you should look out for on the early IPS Models. Luckily all the shortcomings can be updated.

1. (this is the big one) Have the drive seals been updated to the newest standard? If they haven't the whole drive has to be disassembled to remove the original style seal. Once there updated they can then be easily replaced. Last one I did was $15,000 to bring

2. Have the sea strainers been updated? The original screw on cap style strainers would leak down onto the alternators in the front of the motor. The fix is to relocate/retro a standard sea strainer away from the motor or replace the Volvo strainer with the updated model that uses 4 hand tightened bolts to lock down the sight glass.

3. early motors had a plastic pulley on the front of the engine this needs to be replace with the steel one. Also I'm very sure the idler pulley is supposed to be changed every five years or so and it's not cheap.

4. (big one 2.0) Has the whole cooling system been removed and serviced? If so how long ago? It should be done every 5 years like clockwork. If its been neglected things can get very expensive very quickly. After Coolers are $6500 each and sometimes really hard to find.

5. Make sure to have the drives premiered and bottom painted and propspeed applied to the props. You can loss 3 knots + if you have growth on your props.

6. Have your Volvo dealer quote you the price of your annual service for engines and drives. This should include a haul out.

7. Add the Volvo Line Cutters to the drives in there not on the drive already.

With all this being said I'm a huge fan of IPS and make a good portion of my yearly income selling boats with this system. The cost of ownership is higher but its offset by fuel savings and being able to use your boat as easily as a 13' whaler. People with IPS boats tend to use them much more and never need crew/help with docking.

Just for fun I've included a link to a IPS demo I shot with my drone awhile back. It really shows the system at work.

[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

Best Regards,

Ben
Like Post Reply
Ben,
Thank you for all the information. We truly appreciate it...Great video as well...You threw that thing around like a rag doll !!!
Steve
Like Post Reply
(02-06-2017, 05:23 PM)HBSteve Wrote: Ben,
Thank you for all the information. We truly appreciate it...Great video as well...You threw that thing around like a rag doll !!!
Steve

Hahaha it's the movies so I have to make it action packed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply
You can search online.
Like Post Reply
I have a 2008 3500 Sovran with the IPS diesels.  I bought it new in spring 2009, and run it every summer.
I blew apart the starboard engine belt the runs the air compressor.
I found it when checking the bilge--could not tell belt was gone while running.
I've been told that those belts go.  The main belt, larger one of two is fine on both engines.  I carry an extra small belt.

Otherwise the engines have been very sound in fresh water and only 50 hours a year.
The V-P screens/menus at the helm are not super user friendly.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Sovran] Low coolant temp Volvo Penta 600 Donaldjames 2 831 08-07-2023, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Donaldjames
  Performance Chip / Tuning Box for Volvo Penta D6-310 OffshoreTitan 0 526 05-19-2023, 12:39 PM
Last Post: OffshoreTitan
  [Tiara Sovran] Volvo primer bulb assembly Donaldjames 0 360 05-02-2023, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Donaldjames
  [Tiara Sovran] Has anyone had problems with new pedestals? I’m having trouble getting both 30A cord bbunch 0 398 10-07-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: bbunch
  2009 Sovran IPS Drive Hydralic Pump Problems Opus 2 2,534 09-24-2022, 03:00 AM
Last Post: jgreenlee