Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to access Onan generator motor in 38 Open
I am getting raw water in the tray of my generator housing while its running.  I've checked all the easily accessible hoses from the front at the impeller and they are fine.  I would like to check the hoses & clamps on the front of the motor (on the right as you're facing the generator from the engine compartment), but I don't know how to remove the side panel of the housing.  It appears as though it has hinges, but its blocked by the fuel shutoff housing.  Any ideas of what steps I need to take to get the generator housing open?

Thanks much!

Thumbnail(s)

Like Post Reply

Your facing a real challenge..... I had a similar problem and found the Stainless Steel exhaust tube on the back of the engine had a pin hole leak..... To remove the SS exhaust tube I had to remove the top & sides of the sound shield...What a job.....Bolts secure the sound shield to each other and to the base of the sound shield.... On the right side, I unscrewed the fuel shut off housing to allow me to get to the bolts.... Removing/replacing the SS exhaust tube was a real challenge as all was done by feel.... Took 3 days to do the job. SS tube cost around $250.00.. Not sure why the tube pin holed but it did... If your not mechanically inclined I would suggest that you hire someone who is and bite the bullet.... Its' not easy..   Originally was going to move the entire generator forward but too many things would have to be removed to do it.... Not sure if your exhaust tube is the source of the leak but it was for me..... Good Luck. Let me know how you make out... Again good luck
Like Post Reply
You may want to run an inspection camera to the far side of the engine before going to all the trouble of tearing apart the sound shield to see if that is where the leak is coming from. i bought one on Amazon for not much money at all and it works great for projects like that.

By the look of that fuel pump raw water was probably leaking above or near it at some point in time. Not unusual to get a spray or drip out of the raw water pump when the seals need replacing. If you haven't done so run it with the shield open and check the pump real good for leaks. M2C
Like Post Reply
Agree, you want to be sure the leak is coming from the rear side before you tear into the job I did..... It took me quite a while to locate the source and the pin hole leak in the exhaust tube.. Don't believe its a common problem.... .
Like Post Reply
Thank you both very much!
Like Post Reply
UPDATE: So, after a haul out and other work, I was finally able to focus my attention back on the generator raw water leak. I removed the fuel shutoff housing so I could access the sound shield on the right side of the generator. Then I was able to observe the heat exchanger and there was no obvious leaks in or out of it, though there was some corrosion and its probably a good idea to just replace it (genset has 1400 hours) since the anode plug appears to be original. Anyway, I was able to conclude that the raw water leak is after the heat exchanger, which means its either the hose clamp going into the SS exhaust tube or in the exhaust tube itself. I tried to reach the connection on the back side of the generator and feel around, but really couldn't figure much out. I looked at the diagram in the service manual, but still couldn't really figure out how its all attached.

ReelMagic, would you mind sharing the steps you took to remove the SS exhaust tube and reinstall the new one? I presume you had some small tools? I'm down here in the US Virgin Islands and there's not many folks around that could do any better than myself on this repair unless I cruise over to Puerto Rico. Any detailed advice would be so helpful; or perhaps I could persuade you for some more direct help with a plane ticket down and a fishing trip when we're done? :-) Thanks much!
Like Post Reply
Sounds like you have been working hard to find the leak... As I stated mine was a pin hole leak in the SS exhaust tube and I confirmed it prior to removing it as it was quite a job... I removed the front, left side (looking at the generator), & top sound shield covers to access the SS tube with my hands (couldn't see the tube)... I then started the Generator being careful not to put my hands any place I could get hurt.. I felt around and found the pin hole leak by feel only... Once I knew it was the SS tube I started the removal process... No special tools.. Used a 1/4" socket set, several screw drivers, and lots of determination.. Did remove the screws holding the fuel shutoff housing so it could be moved enough to loosen the right side sound shield cover...Removal of the tube itself was challenging as well.. Loosened the hose clamps between the exhaust manifold (on top left side facing generator) and the SS exhaust tube (be careful as there are sharp edges for the exhaust temp sensor as well as other sharp points). Once free I loosened the hose clamps on the SS exhaust tube to the exhaust hose itself (on right rear side of generator behind the fuel shut off housing... It now took 2 people to remove the SS pipe.. One working the SS pipe and the second holding the exhaust hose on the right rear side....As a note the tube goes through the sound shield on the rear right side of the sound shield so you will have to remove it by moving the tube to the right (toward the port side of boat) through the sound shield itself... Replacement is the reverse way, As I said its a challenge but it's the only way I saw to remove the SS exhaust tube.. Good Luck..M2C BTW thanks for the invite.... I will be in St Thomas 2/20 for a day as part of a cruise we are taking this winter...
Like Post Reply
Had a thought come to mind in thinking through this...rather than try to remove the SS exhaust pipe or the raw water hose at the base of the exhaust (both of which are on the back side of the generator and pretty much inaccessible); what about installing a tee inline along the exhaust hose, after the SS pipe? I may need to punch a new hole through the sound shield, but that would evacuate the raw water from the generator more directly, right? I just don't know if the raw water serves to cool the SS exhaust pipe or if the exhaust pipe would be fine just pushing dry air through it. This would be a far simpler solution that is much more serviceable going forward. Thoughts?
Like Post Reply
I'm not sure if I agree as the water provides cooling to the exhaust SS pipe and hose.... With that said the exhaust elbow on the generator discharges the raw water into a hose that connects directly to the SS pipe cooling the pipe and rest of the exhaust system.... Not sure what you suggest would be any easier either.. M2C
Like Post Reply
Thanks ReelMagic...my idea was to connect up the raw water discharge well downstream of the SS exhaust pipe; somewhere behind the fuel shutoff housing, but I agree with you that it would defeat the whole concept of a wet exhaust system and probably trip the temperature sensor on the exhaust elbow due to overheating of the exhaust.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Battery Charger issue 04' 32 open Coastie57 2 100 04-24-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Matta0413
  [Tiara Open] What Size Portable Generator to run my A/C, microwave, lights off shore Showtime 3 451 03-30-2024, 02:01 PM
Last Post: jtomlin@hurricanetv.com
  2005- 3600 Open Center Windshield Wiper Motor Cover Replacement Tminus3 1 286 03-30-2024, 08:03 AM
Last Post: Makoman
  2005 Tiara 2900 Open Classic shaft size wlizondro 1 452 03-18-2024, 02:45 PM
Last Post: HIGH SPIRTED
  [Tiara Open] VHF Cable Run 3800 Open twilson0929 0 150 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: twilson0929