Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aluminum Holding Tank?
I am looking at a 2001 Tiara which has an aluminum holding tank, which from what I understand is not an ideal choice of material for the job.  I have a couple friends with sailboats who needed to replace their ten year old aluminum tanks due to leakage.   Speaking with Tiara Customer Support; all they can say is that the tank should not be a problem.  The tank is not easily replaceable.

Thoughts?   Anyone have experience with Tiara aluminum holding tanks of a certain age?

Thank you,
Bob
Like Post Reply

I recently sold my 43 Open (in fact 2001) and now have a 52 Sovran. The 43 Is a great boat, probably the best all around boat I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot of boats). Never heard of a holding tank failing in one of these and would think of it did fail a good welder could either repair or fabricate a new one in place hopefully without tearing up the floor.

I would be more concerned with the fuel tanks. They are often exposed to the elements and it's not unusual to get water contamination in the bottom of the tank so corrosion is an enemy. No repairing a fuel tank. Last year I had one start leaking and it turned into a big job. Not just a Tiara problem. Any boat with metal tanks is subject to these issues. Unfortunately there is no easy way to inspect tanks.
Like Post Reply
I have had numerous boats with aluminum holding and fuel tanks. Some were newer some not so much. Never had a corrosion problem with any of them. My 2000 Tiara 41 Open seems to be fine so far. I can see nothing on it anywhere.

I did have a 1989 Luhrs 40' Sport fisherman that had lightening go through the port tank and blew 9 holes through it. 150 gallons of diesel in the bilge isn't fun. We had to pull the tank and replace it. Even that tank seemed fine (except for the lightening holes). We looked at the starboard side and it was perfect, even after 30 years.
Like Post Reply
Nobody could tell me with any certainty why my tank failed and both me and insurance company had a lot of knowledgable experts weigh in. The tank was fine except for one worm hole in the bottom. Guesses included electrolysis, fuel contamination/biological infestation, material defect and galvanic corrosion from inside out (perhaps some residual foreign metal from manufacturing). Anyway I guess I got the bad luck of the draw as its apparently not common here on the Great Lakes.
Like Post Reply
The holding tank on my 1995 31 Open is original and in excellent shape (knock wood).
Like Post Reply
JClark, Sans Peur and RCKLAW, Thank you for your thoughts. The two Tiara's I previously owned had plastic holding tanks and I never gave the tanks a second thought. It sounds likely that Tiara uses a higher grade of aluminum for the tanks than their competitors. Bob
Like Post Reply
I recently bought an 02 43 open, the broker told me the holding tank was replaced at some point by Tiara. They cut the salon floor out to do the job- not sure what the issue was but he claims Tiara paid for it...sorry for the lack of detail but it all I have.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RDT's post:
RMS (12-26-2018)
Like Post Reply
RDT, thank you for that information. FWIW, we have taken a pass on the Tiara which was the subject of my original post. The search continues.
Bob
Like Post Reply
Have a 2001 43 open that is having the Aluminum holding tank replaced, the tank is leaking on the bottom side where the baffle is attached to the bottom along with a great deal of oxidation where the level sensor is mounted.  Had to cut the floor out to accomplish the task.
Like Post Reply
Kevin, Thanks for that information. Bob
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Open] 3800 Open Holding Tank Vent Filter MediumRareBagel 3 1,575 07-05-2023, 12:14 PM
Last Post: mamacko
  Capacity of each fresh water tank Tiara Express 2001 BVTeam 2 603 03-29-2023, 01:11 PM
Last Post: dplunske@cwpm.net
  [Tiara Open] Fresh water tank is leaking kphodgins 6 1,800 11-09-2022, 02:42 PM
Last Post: lundtooth@hotmail.com
  Holding tan Bigbruno 0 565 03-19-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Bigbruno
  Fresh water tank repair JLRedfish 0 816 02-18-2022, 08:10 PM
Last Post: JLRedfish