Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
after coolers
called cummins here in michigan, i have a 2003 tiara with cummins qsm11 engines, have 900 hours on it and have not had the aftercoolers serviced yet, they asked me if there are any leaks or running hot , i told them no, its running perfectly, they mentioned i may wanna just use a new product called BARNACLE BLASTER?????  very less exspensive than having cummins come out and change o rings and then servicing and acid wash the after cooler, has anyone done this ??? it was in saltwater for the first 800 hours and then  about 50 hours freshwater here in michigan???? just surprised cummins recomended it????? any thoughts???
Like Post Reply

Barnacle buster is a mild acid solution that is designed to clean the sea water side of aftercooler, oil coolers and heat exchangers. I've never used it but understand it is quite popular with salt water crowd. What it won't do is clean the air side of the aftercooler which eventually gets impregnated with oil from CCV and such, degrading the charge air cooling capability.

I am surprised cummins recommended this as well. Assuming many years in salt, unless they were previously serviced they are probably way overdue to be removed, cleaned and pressure tested. A leaking AC can destroy an engine quite quickly and salt water is no friend to raw water cooled ACs. Freshwater use is another story and the service interval can be extended.

One test for the air side is the measure the difference between sea water temp and manifold/charge air temperature. If I'm not mistaken the manifold temp should be around 5-10 degrees hotter than sea water. The forums on boatdiesel.com or the guys at seaboard marine are quite knowledgeable and can help you make a more informed decision.

Best of luck
Like Post Reply
thank you very much, im just gonna have cummins do a full service of the after coolers, just to be safe

does anyone on this board recomend a certain place or company to service the after coolers on the west side of michigan (ludington) , thanks in advance, there is a marine divison of cummins in grand rapids????
Like Post Reply
Hi,

I have 05 QSM-11's. I had the local Cummins dealer do mine this year, (After Coolers, Heat X, Tran Coolers & Fuel Coolers) I also had to do the exhaust manifold gaskets - 2nd time. Not the best design from an engineering stand point, I have 'de-tuned' my props, but will most likely take a little more off next time I pull them. QSM-11 base engine is excellent, taken care of, 15,000 hours is not out of the realm of reality.

I have found my dealer to be easier to deal with then the factory branch.
Like Post Reply
I think you are making a good choice. IMO it's just not worth the risk given how hard salt water is on the cores. I hear good things about Slater Diesel service in Grand Haven. Might be worth a call to them. Otherwise Bridgeway is the local Grand Rapids Cummins dealer.
Like Post Reply
thank you all, really appreciate it
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  sevice after coolers honest mark 10 6,816 09-20-2019, 01:45 PM
Last Post: bsause
  After coolers bwoods94 1 2,597 11-03-2016, 11:54 AM
Last Post: ReelMagic