Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smartcraft Fuel rate to Waypoint
I've got a 2007 3900 Open and I'm baffled by my SmartCraft view having the ability to project my Cummins fuel burn to a waypoint but yet it is not wired for it to work. I'm pretty sure most of the 2007's came with Raymarine E120's. Is this a common configuration? I've had a hard time finding someone that understands what it would take to get that displayed. Does anyone know what it takes to get the Raymarine E120's to talk to the SmartCraft displays?
Triple Strength
Tom Streng
Like Post Reply

Tom,

Do you have a 2009 3900 Open or a 2007 38 Open? The 39 Open did not exist in 2007, so I'm sure it is a typo.

Depending on the year of your electronics and the year of the smart craft displays, they may or may not be compatible with each other from a data transmission and receive function. There are multiple electronics languages and in order to two computers to talk to each other, they have to be speaking in the same language. If you do indeed have a 2007 (Have you updated the software recently on the E-120?), then my guess is they will not be able to speak to each other. If you have a 2009 and 2009 electronics, then you may have a shot.

Let us know what year and model you have and perhaps we can figure it out.
Chris Burkard
[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]
Like Post Reply
Chris,

Sorry, typo, 2007 3800. I believe everything is still '07 original equipment. I thought that all the NMEA data communications worked together and that was how Seatalk worked. I didn't realize there were different formats out there. SmartCraft was definitely building their product to give us this information based on waypoint and fuel burn so I'm curious as to what plotters they were built to hook up to back in 2007 if not Raymarine.

Tom
Triple Strength
Tom Streng
Like Post Reply
All I know is that back in 2005 when the Smart Craft instrumentation first started showing up, we were unsuccessful in connecting the system to the Raymarine Electronics. At some point in 2008 or 2009, we were able to. You may be able to update the software on your E-120 and have it work, but that is a question for someone at Smart Craft and/or Raymarine. Your smart craft computers use an algorithm based on engine load and RPM to calculate fuel burn, so they are not actually measuring fuel burned, but in my experience, the algorithm is very close to actual. The only thing you will get by connecting your electronics to the Smart Craft System is you will be able to see engine information on your Electronics screen and it will be able to calculate MPG as the Smart Craft will now have access to speed.

I hope that helps in some little way.
Chris Burkard
[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]
Like Post Reply