Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volvo QL trim tabs not working on 3900 Convertible
Hello everyone. I have a 3900 Convertible with the dreaded Volvo QL trim tabs. They've failed and I'm looking to replace them with traditional tabs such as Lenco or Bennett. I'm curious if any other owners have gone this route? What tab did you choose and has it been successful? Thanks in advance!
Peter Durfee
Like Post Reply

I have often wondered about those tabs. Did they work well (I mean before they didn't)? The engineering behind them seems sound, but creating less drag than a regular planner type tab seems a little off to me. I also read they react much quicker than regular tabs.

Are you going to regular tabs due to cost, performance or what?
Like Post Reply
(02-26-2020, 07:15 PM)Sans Peur Wrote: I have often wondered about those tabs. Did they work well (I mean before they didn't)? The engineering behind them seems sound, but creating less drag than a regular planner type tab seems a little off to me. I also read they react much quicker than regular tabs.

I just bought the boat recently and they’ve never worked. I was thinking about going to traditional tabs like Bennett or Lenco but that would require a bunch of expensive fiberglass work to fill in the notch where they’re mounted. I might just install a set of zip wakes which are similar in style to the Volvo’s but more reliable.

(03-01-2020, 09:00 AM)Reel Teaser Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 07:15 PM)Sans Peur Wrote: I have often wondered about those tabs. Did they work well (I mean before they didn't)? The engineering behind them seems sound, but creating less drag than a regular planner type tab seems a little off to me. I also read they react much quicker than regular tabs.

I just bought the boat recently and they’ve never worked. I was thinking about going to traditional tabs like Bennett or Lenco but that would require a bunch of expensive fiberglass work to fill in the notch where they’re mounted. I might just install a set of zip wakes which are similar in style to the Volvo’s but more reliable.

Coincidentally, when I spoke to Tiara about it, they said this is the only boat model they ever installed the Volvo tabs on.
Like Post Reply
Did you ever figure out a solution? If you go Bennett don’t do the the auto trim control they have. Every time I’ve Captained a flybridge boat with the currently offered Bennett auto trim system it scares that crap out of me. The Lenco system is better at leveling the boat without overreacting but the electronically actuated rams fail every couple years. If your already setup for interrupter blades I’d just switch over to the ZipWake interrupt your blade system. It’s pretty amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Sovran] 3500 Acces to Clarion Remote and Trim Tab Controler LastDance 0 140 04-25-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: LastDance
  [Tiara Open] Trim Tabs Tony Saitta 6 4,905 04-17-2024, 04:29 PM
Last Post: efontana
  2008 39 convertible hardtop bob.hollandjr@yahoo.com 0 216 11-03-2023, 01:55 PM
Last Post: bob.hollandjr@yahoo.com
  [Tiara Convertible] 2006 3900 fresh water breaker trips misscristina 4 1,680 05-19-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: The Duke
  43 Convertible Window Lock John1027 0 317 05-01-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: John1027