• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiara Sovran WATER INTRUSION ISSUE
Hello....

My name is Gus Marsella….

I presently own a 33' Tiara Open

Looking at a 2006 43' Sovran and survey showed a moisture issue
on the Starboard rear quarter...
Moisture meter maxed out ???

Surveyor could not verify water intrusion...
Read an article that indicated an problem in the air box area of Sovrans that could
be an issue to deal with.

Anyone out there that can provide me info on this issue ???

Thanks,
        Gus....
Like Post Reply

Was the moisture in the platform? That is an area that has been a problem on other boats...
Like Post Reply
On many Sovrans the inside air box drain was not sealed allowing an entry point for moisture. Also as with most boats over time the bedding can break down aeound thru hull fittings. The molds were not plugged in those era boats so moisture getting past any thru hull will wick right into the coring. Whenever I service a thru hull I dremel out a quarter inch of coring and fill it in with epoxy so if water gets by it won't enter the coring.

if you are interested in the boat reach to Tiara and see if they can recommend someone near by to provide an estimate. To do it right it will not be a cheap endeavor.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jclark003's post:
tglass (03-21-2020)
Like Post Reply
Check out DryBoat.com for a possible solution to the problem, much less intrusive
Like Post Reply
(03-21-2020, 07:53 AM)tglass Wrote: Check out DryBoat.com for a possible solution to the problem, much less intrusive
If I owned a boat and found out it was wet, I might look into DryBoat, but if I were buying, I certainly wouldn't buy a problem boat.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply
(03-17-2020, 10:04 AM)afm1344 Wrote: Hello....

My name is Gus Marsella….

I presently own a 33' Tiara Open

Looking at a 2006 43' Sovran and survey showed a moisture issue
on the Starboard rear quarter...
Moisture meter maxed out ???

Surveyor could not verify water intrusion...
Read an article that indicated an problem in the air box area of Sovrans that could
be an issue to deal with.

Anyone out there that can provide me info on this issue ???

Thanks,
        Gus....

Hi Gus,

Tiara is closed for the next 3 weeks due to COVID-19. Just a heads up in case you try to call them as suggested in this thread.
Here’s my take on the situation for what it’s worth.
I just checked my MLS.
You have a few 4300s to choose from Up and down the coast.
Moisture intrusion in the hull happens. It’s not at big of a deal to fix. Its more labor dollars then anything else.
When I state that “it’s not a big deal to fix” I’m making a comparison to the other water intrusion issue these boats can suffer from.
This other issue I’m referring to is much more expensive by an order of magnitude. It’s repair can include just as much labor but also shipyard fees, parts and materials.
This issue I’m referring to is water intrusion in the IPS pod drives.
Before going any further with this boat you need to find out when the last reseal/rebuild/replacement job was done on the pods.
If the hours on the boat are sub 650, the pods have been done, prop shafts are in spec or replaced with in the last 5 years then I wouldn’t be scared off by the possibility of fixing moisture in the hull.

If these things haven’t been done then I’d move on to another boat. Also make sure the whole cooling system (including aftercoolers) has been removed and serviced within the last few years. If these two major items haven’t been done it could easily cost $50,000.00
With all that being said the Volvo IPS system is amazing. I love it and most my income comes from selling vessels equipped with this system. It’s worth every penny to maintain and own. You just want to be well informed going into it to make sure it’s right for you or that your buying the best example possible.

Just remember the cheapest yacht is always the most expensive,

Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  water strainers question sluggo 6 1,801 02-12-2020, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Sans Peur
  1988 3300 454 Crusader Zincs Issue ardoski14 9 801 12-25-2019, 09:21 PM
Last Post: jclark003
  [Tiara Open] 1988 3100 Open - Hatch Issue. Fix or Replace? Parts? Shadrap 2 1,156 12-07-2019, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Uhehner
  Winterization- Hot Water Tanks Knot On Call 6 500 11-20-2019, 02:40 PM
Last Post: Knot On Call
  [Tiara Sovran] Water maker desalination alfredo 1 240 11-15-2019, 12:56 AM
Last Post: bigboatben