Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhaust Fumes 3200 Open
The exhaust on the 32 open was changed in late 2004. The exhaust out the back was changed to below the water line with pressure relief exhausts on the side. I had my boat converted by the factory at that time and it solved the problem which was a station wagon effect issue. Without the modification the boat does draw CO into the helm with the center windshield vent open. Close that window and the problem is less severe. Running with the drop curtain down and fully closed also keeps the fumes out.
Like Post Reply

(09-26-2014, 09:30 AM)Walker Wrote: Have noticed exhaust fumes in the cockpit and helm area while underway and twice the cabin carbon monoxide detector alarm in the cabin went off even with the door always closed.
Seems as though I've heard of this before somewhere.
Has anyone else experienced this? If so has there been any remedy for this problem?
Walker

obviously underwater exhaust would solve your issue but that is a big project for you. i had the same issue with a boat that the exhaust came out the side. it all has to do with wind and speed, you can change your course a little and it will go away. ive never had it bother anyone to the point where they have gotten sick or had a headache. not saying that yours couldnt be worse.  if its a real concern maybe you could add some exhaust so some of it would go underwater, i know there are some boats that offer that type of exhaust. keep us posted
Like Post Reply
(11-15-2014, 07:35 PM)sbw1 Wrote: The exhaust on the 32 open was changed in late 2004. The exhaust out the back was changed to below the water line with  pressure relief exhausts on the side. I had my boat converted by the factory at that time and it solved the problem which was a station wagon effect issue. Without the modification the boat does draw CO into the helm with the center windshield vent open. Close that window and the problem is less severe. Running with the drop curtain down and fully closed also keeps the fumes out.

SB1,
I'm not sure what you mean by "the exhaust on the 3200 open was changed after 2004".
My boat is a 2007 and the exhaust comes out the rear.
Can you clarify?
Thanks
Walker
Like Post Reply
(11-20-2014, 02:46 PM)Walker Wrote: [quote='sbw1' pid='3063' dateline='1416098117']
The exhaust on the 32 open was changed in late 2004. The exhaust out the back was changed to below the water line with  pressure relief exhausts on the side. I had my boat converted by the factory at that time and it solved the problem which was a station wagon effect issue. Without the modification the boat does draw CO into the helm with the center windshield vent open. Close that window and the problem is less severe. Running with the drop curtain down and fully closed also keeps the fumes out.

SB1,
I'm not sure what you mean by "the exhaust on the 3200 open was changed after 2004".
My boat is a 2007 and the exhaust comes out the rear.
Can you clarify?
Thanks
Walker

I can try. My 32 was one of the boats built in the first year of the new model run. Although not exactly a warranty item, I called the factory and told them the boat was drawing fumes into the cockpit under certain conditions. After a while, a rep called me and said they were looking at ways to modify the exhaust, and if I would participate in the solution a factory team would modify the boat during winter lay up. We live close to the factory so this was pretty easy for all concerned. Underwater exhaust was installed and I payed for this at a somewhat reduced rate. The fix worked just fine for our boat although the factory may have made additional design modifications after my boat was completed. I was told at the time that the plan was to go to underwater exhaust on future 32 Opens. Maybe the change over occurred later than I was lead to believe. Hope this helps.
Like Post Reply
Have you tried running without the bible blower going?
Like Post Reply
I have a 94 Tiara 3100 Open, side exhausts, soft canvas top.  Running for an hour at "no wake" speeds with after portion of canvas open and cabin hatches partially open (forward hatch closed), I have experienced max carbon monoxide reading in forward cabin of 87ppm.  Can someone compare this to your cabin readings (or concerns for this level).
Tom
new to me: 1994 Tiara 3100 Open 454 Crusaders
Lifetime racing and cruising sailor throughout New England
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tiara 3800 Open - Buyer's Guide AtlasRearden 16 6,182 05-07-2024, 04:59 AM
Last Post: greylion
  2010 3600 Open Swim Platform bandnew 5 3,656 12-22-2023, 08:36 PM
Last Post: bandnew
  4200 Open with 660 Cummins range? Stripedo 3 3,122 12-19-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Hifirush