Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dingy Ramp vs Hydraulic Swim Platform
Hi All,

One member on the forum recommended against 'dingy ramp' based on his experience with his boat...ultimately ended up with a hydraulic swim platform. I would like to open a discussion for those who have looked into this and/or purchased or not

Boat is 4300 Open Tiara with 550 HP Detroits with 30" swim platform rated for 900-1000 in 1998(when new)
tender is 2011 Caribe 11' total weight with motor and fuel is 445#

QUESTION
I have researched and researched and it seems there is no perfect solution. I have many friends down here in Fort Lauderdale and it sounds like the hydraulic system may be more trouble than it is worth. On the other hand the benefits of the 'dingy ramp' system seem to be pretty close to that of the hydraulic system. I am going to attempt a pros and cons list. PLEASE CHIME IN

PROS of dingy ramp
cost only $2500 for my application(this is for three of the chocks) vs $25,000+++ on a hydraulic system
simple design
easy to swap out 
easy install and easy to fabricate rigidity
simple to install backing plate to currently installed swim platform(for added strength in the transom)
no electrical or hydraulic lines to install or maintain
keep and use current swim platform
remove chocks when on the hook or not in use(store in bilge)
weight: only 12# each vs hydraulic system is 500-700#

Cons or dingy ramp
sounds like they are made to be fairly disposable and might not last more than 3 years
according to manufacturer designed to snap under too much down pressure. -engineered this way to save a swim platform from cracking under the pressure instead
would have to install a block and tackle system for the dingy (im not strong enough to pull up on the stern of tender)
Both the hydraulic and dingy ramp seem to have the potential to drag if taking off fast or coming off plane quickly
I have some concern that perhaps the transom would need to be beefed up A LOT to handle a continuous 450# banging and hanging for hours at a time

The way I am looking at it is I could replace this dingy ramp 10x before having a hydraulic lift installed(not including the maintenance of the hydraulic system over the years)

[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

comparing to freedom lift or tnt or GHS or nautical structure or florida bow thrusters
Like Post Reply

I have the TNT hyd lift on the back of my 50 Open. I like it a lot more than I thought I would. Pretty simple system with not to much to worry about. It is a little long which I originally thought would interfere with fishing but we bring fish along side of the boat anyway.
My wife likes it because we can drop it down a little ways into the water and she and her friends can hang out on it. It's great for getting in and out of the boat from the water.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sans Peur's post:
ds825x (03-01-2021)
Like Post Reply
(03-01-2021, 07:15 AM)Sans Peur Wrote: I have the TNT hyd lift on the back of my 50 Open. I like it a lot more than I thought I would. Pretty simple system with not to much to worry about. It is a little long which I originally thought would interfere with fishing but we bring fish along side of the boat anyway.
My wife likes it because we can drop it down a little ways into the water and she and her friends can hang out on it. It's great for getting in and out of the boat from the water.

I do really like that 50 open.  I think that may be the next boat.  Love the 43, need the extra stateroom
Like Post Reply
I just bought a 32 Open from Seattle. It had a Hide-a-Davit system installed. Its a hydraulic lift that's half the price of a Freedom or TNT lift and seems pretty cool. I haven't used it yet. [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]
Like Post Reply
(03-01-2021, 04:00 PM)dbriceno Wrote: [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

Interesting system, however not having actual bunks or chocks that the tender sits on would make me nervous based on the way we use our boat.
Like Post Reply
I bought a very lightweight Zodiac Wave with a high-pressure air floor so I'm going to start with a Weaver Snap Davit ([Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]).

I did find a Hurley H2O ([Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]) at the bottom of the trunk so I'm keeping it in reserve in case it's needed.

From a pure physics standpoint I'm not happy seeing all that weight levering off of the back of a swim platform. I'd be worried enough about it sitting squarely on top.

A little off topic but worth mentioning - I wish Tiara had put Detroits in the 4000 Express. I guess "cruisers" don't rate Frown
Like Post Reply
I just installed a Hurley H30 System on my 40 express.  Holds my 11' RIB (console unit that weighs around 500 lbs) perfectly.  Easy to launch and much better than spending $25k on a lift...unless you have $25k then go for it!!!
Like Post Reply
(04-13-2021, 08:41 AM)August Rush Wrote: I just installed a Hurley H30 System on my 40 express.  Holds my 11' RIB (console unit that weighs around 500 lbs) perfectly.  Easy to launch and much better than spending $25k on a lift...unless you have $25k then go for it!!!

August — how did you deal with running bolts and our swim platform (with no access to the inside)?
Like Post Reply
I gained access from below and well above the waterline.  I drilled out a 6” hole using a hole saw abs then reglassed the take out piece back in. Was pretty easy.
Like Post Reply
(04-13-2021, 08:41 AM)August Rush Wrote: I just installed a Hurley H30 System on my 40 express.  Holds my 11' RIB (console unit that weighs around 500 lbs) perfectly.  Easy to launch and much better than spending $25k on a lift...unless you have $25k then go for it!!!

Could you share pics?  I'm thinking about the same system for a Highfield 310 with the FCT but I'm worried about hangover as we always dock stern in and no fingers.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo Rubber bolt caps hydraulic floor gdynkowski 3 971 06-12-2023, 11:47 AM
Last Post: gdynkowski
  hydraulic lift table jes0065 2 918 09-04-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: bruce@bigrivergroup.com
  Swim platform deck options d5dekeyser 0 574 08-16-2022, 09:39 AM
Last Post: d5dekeyser
  4000 Express-Hatch & Table hydraulics; Anyone changed the hydraulic oil and filter? frank.koetter 4 1,889 02-02-2022, 07:58 PM
Last Post: frank.koetter
  4000 Express: Squishy Swim Platform emarrero 14 5,229 09-03-2021, 05:26 PM
Last Post: jmk