Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New 3300 open owner from B.C. with young kids
Hi, my husband and I are based out of Vancouver and just bought a 1991 3300 Open. We have two young kids (a 7 month old and 2.5 year old) and looking forward to spending lots of time out on the water. I am looking for anyone who has advice on kid specific modifications and tricks for the boat! Specifically, lee cloths for the two starboard bunks (converted by folding up the back cushion of the settee) so the two kids can each sleep (or play) on one of those bunks without falling out. Also looking for suggestions on hatch covers for the forward hatch so the front v berth stays a bit darker for naps during the day and in the early mornings. Thanks so much.
Like Post Reply

I can’t speak to the specifics of the 3300. I suspect most of those conveniences you’ll figure out as you get used to her. As for boating with kids, though, my two pieces of advice are 1) always safety first, and 2) make sure they have a job.

Even at 2 years old, our daughter could hold a line or prop up a fender until we were ready. She wasn’t doing much but felt included. Now at 9, she regularly takes-up position on the swim platform ready to toss a line to a dockhand as we come in somewhere. I’ve even started trusting her with activities up on the bow. They want to feel a part of the action and I believe the more involved they are, the longer they’ll have an interest in the best family activity there is.
[-] The following 2 users Like MC1600's post:
Misdirection (03-14-2022), ReelEnjoyment (03-13-2022)
Like Post Reply
I whole heartly agree to get and keep the kids involved as boating is a family thing.. I've had a boat since 12 and now its 65 years later and still enjoy it, especially now with 6 grandkids,, All are fun when they come on board and are always a great help. One word of caution however.. I never allow anyone on the swim platform when underway, even when docking. To risky... Can hand off line to dock hands from cockpit and agree going on the bow should be reserved for older children/adults... Safety first. Remember life jackets are required for kids at all times under 12 (at least in NY).. M2C
Like Post Reply
You are correct Reel Magic
They call it a "swim" platform for a reason!
Like Post Reply
Check out the baby swing "SeaRock". You can hang it from the underside of the hardtop. My kids absolutely loved it (everyone else in the anchorage will too). As for the sleeping, I bought lee cloth and planned to make side rails etc. We ended up just bringing a babybjorn travel crib onboard. Later my wife & kids took over the forward berth--the 3 of them slept there and I was relegated to the bunk. One problem with setting up the bunk for the kids is that at that point you've lost your only cabin seating and it is not likely you'll be ready for bed at the same time the kids are. All things considered it was great fun when they were that small (and gets even better as they get older). Congrats!
Like Post Reply
I took off my V berth hatch screen and traced out the opening on some stiff black plastic board I found at a craft store. I keep that in between the glass and the screen and it stays nice and dark in there as long as I want it to be. Comes out easily and doesn't get beat up by the sun and weather.
Good luck!
Like Post Reply
Update to keep the v berth dark...
The foam board shrunk on me.
JoAnn Fabrics has a thin blackout material. It blocks almost 100% light and is very easy to work with.
Cut it out and put it on top of the screen. Use black duct tape around the edges if you want it to stay real dark in there.
Works great!!
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Owner to be fkrabach 0 73 03-25-2024, 01:19 PM
Last Post: fkrabach
  New Owner - 2004 4200 Open jgordon 5 815 03-19-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: jgordon
  2005 Tiara 36 Open Rick B 2 266 02-01-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: hiccup
  New Owner Four Winds V 2 338 01-04-2024, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Hifirush