Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiara Open 1984 Tiara (Pursuit Hull ID?) open one engine cuts off when put in gear
First of all thanks to all that read this. My nephew has purchased a 1984 Tiara 3100 open for his dream boat. He purchased it in Daytona, Florida and is trying to get the boat to Destin, Florida via water. He has had a few setbacks to say the least. Broken belts, replaced impeller, ran into a sand bar and $1100 prop repairs. His current problem is both engines crank and run fine but as soon as he puts one engine in gear an alarm sounds and the engine dies. Any thoughts? I am trying to help him out as much as possible, but I haven't seen the boat yet and can't find any documentation on the boat at all. Does it have a diagnostic port and is it carbureted of fuel injected? I have written Tiara and they have told me that the hull id is a Pursuit model and Tiara sold off that brand. I sent Pursuit an email but no answer from them so far. Any help would be appreciated.
Like Post Reply

A boat of that vintage likely has carburetors and no diagnostic port. The engine alarm goes off for one of three reasons. Oil pressure, transmission temp, engine temp.

Does the alarm go off right when it stalls? That could simply be the loss of oil pressure when it stalls.

I'd be concerned about the hitting of the sand bar. If the props were damaged, what else was? Did it suck sand up thru the raw water side of the cooling and is that now plugged up?

Was it running properly before the sand bar was hit?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user Likes Misdirection's post:
reeltimebrad (01-12-2022)
Like Post Reply
As misdirection said I would bet the cooling system from the strainers to the oil coolers and heat exchanger are probably full of sand. Strange that tiara won't help you out as even though it's technically a pursuit it was the same company then.
Like Post Reply
Do you know what alarm is going off? I had a problem with one shutting off like that but no alarm. I connected both neutral safety wires to one contact, eliminating the switch but I also took apart the big harness plug near the trans and cleaned all the prongs. It fixed it. So I changed out the neutral safety switch just in case it was that. So my problem was one of those 2.
Like Post Reply
Sorry for ignoring this post for so long, for some reason I never saw a reply. As it turned out he had tied up yo a fishing pier overnight (kind of an emergency pitstop) and when he got ready to leave he apparently hit a rope of some kind and it wrapped around the prop. I am a little surprised that was the problem but better than breaking something else. Thanks for all of the comments!
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Open] Repowering a Tiara 3100 Open with 2 outboards drake 0 475 03-20-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: drake
  Prop Size Older 31 Open duchess 2 1,654 11-01-2023, 08:40 PM
Last Post: duchess
  [Tiara Open] Crusader gas engine crank but no spark Mydiamond 1 1,062 10-18-2023, 04:32 AM
Last Post: czarcone
Video [Tiara Open] Check engine light and alarm at cruising speed bcgettel@gmail.com 2 537 06-28-2023, 08:16 AM
Last Post: rcwiegand
  1993 2900 Open, 350 Crusaders Maintenance & Replacement ?? 29opensoon 2 1,765 12-15-2022, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Misdirection