Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to me 32
Brought home a 2005 3200 Open yesterday. 92 miles, 4.5 hours from New Bedford MA to Branford CT. What a great ride. A question for other 32 open owners. When looking at the AC distribution panel under the stairs there is a spot for the Fridge but there is no switch but there is a switch on the DC distribution panel. Is it possible that the fridge is DC only? Or can it be directly wired to the AC without a switch/breaker? My last Tiara was a 2002 3100 open it it had a switch on the AC distribution panel.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Matta0413's post:
Tkey (10-24-2023)
Like Post Reply

I believe everything in the 32 is DC including the TV.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply
I have a 4300 Sovran, and it does have the AC breaker for the fridge.  You might want to look up the make/model on line and see if it is AC/DC.  Other option is to pull it and check the wiring.  

BTW... welcome to Branford.  I have my boat there also.
Like Post Reply
Thanks Scurvy Dog. I have been boating out of Branford my whole life. I had a 31 open for the last 6 years, just moved up to the 32.
Like Post Reply
I have a 2004 3200 Open (fairly new to me as well) and I do have a switch in the panel under the stairs for the fridge so it should be available on yours. Perhaps check the fridge itself to make sure it works with both. Or do you have the invertor option? I do not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004 3200 Open Volvo Penta
Southport, NC

Learning new boating items every day!
Like Post Reply
There were some models that had DC only refrigerators. If there's a breaker on the DC panel for it, but not one on the AC panel, then it is definitive that this is your situation.

Just make sure your battery charger is on and charging when on shore power and the fridge will be indirectly AC powered. Not the best design IMO but it is what it is.

You could always wire up an AC power supply on a new AC breaker and a simple 'logic' board with a relay to convert it to an AC/DC fridge where it automatically switches to the AC power supply when AC is present.
Like Post Reply
Enjoy your 32. I have the same boat, interestingly also kept in Branford and take it to NB every summer. It's a great ride!

I can confirm the fridge is DC only. There's a few other idiosyncrasies of the 32's i've learned over the few years I'd be happy to share.
Like Post Reply
Tkey, thanks for the feedback. It was a nice ride from New Bedford.
Like Post Reply
So I pulled out the fridge that is outside and it does have the AC option. Looks pretty straight forward to run wire to it and find power on the AC Distribution to add it. The fridge in the galley is the same model so I am guessing I can run wire to that one too. Has anyone else done this?
Like Post Reply
(01-03-2024, 11:52 AM)Matta0413 Wrote: So I pulled out the fridge that is outside and it does have the AC option. Looks pretty straight forward to run wire to it and find power on the AC Distribution to add it. The fridge in the galley is the same model so I am guessing I can run wire to that one too. Has anyone else done this?

Why would you do that? I have the same setup in my 32. when I am at the dock I am on shore power and running the charger. What is the advantage of having it AC?
Like Post Reply