Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3500 Open/3600 Sovran Extended Cruising/Overnighting
Fellow boaters,

New to the forum.....and hope to be here for a while - looking to transition from a Four Winns 28' cruiser to a 3500 open or 3600 Sovran (early 2000's) in time for the start of the 2018/2019 boating season.  In a separate post I solicited info on a downloadable manual for the 3600 Sovran to begin educating myself on it's mechanical and electrical systems.  

Last year I was dead-set on purchasing a mid 2000's Formula 34PC for use up here on the east coast (cruising/transient overnights up and down the coast between Portland ME and the Cape) but recently fell in love with Tiara, i.e. the 3500 Open and 3600 Sovran.  Both look like outstanding boats for our intended purpose but the Sovran looks like it's better suited for cruising and overnights given the cabin layout and cockpit configuration.

Curious, are there others on the forum who own either boat and use them for extended overnights (3-5 nights)?  It's just my wife and I so I'm thinking the amount of room available in the cabin (much more than the boat we have) would suffice for extended overnight cruising.  I know this is a fairly broad question but I'm interested in hearing the experiences others are having with these boats for this purpose.

Thanks!
Like Post Reply

I own a 2000 3500 Open with 6bta cummins. We stay on the boat over the weekends, pretty much every weekend, with trips to the Bahamas for 1-2 weeks. It is also just my wife and I and we have not problems with staying on the boat whether on the hook or at a marina. The generator can be a little on the noisy side for on the hook but doesn't bother me anymore. If you have any additional questions do not hesitate to ask.
Tom
Like Post Reply
(10-29-2017, 07:21 AM)trit21 Wrote: I own a 2000 3500 Open with 6bta cummins. We stay on the boat over the weekends, pretty much every weekend, with trips to the Bahamas for 1-2 weeks. It is also just my wife and I and we have not problems with staying on the boat whether on the hook or at a marina. The generator can be a little on the noisy side for on the hook but doesn't bother me anymore. If you have any additional questions do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks for the response!  It's good to hear that you and your wife are comfortable on the boat for up to 2 weeks at a time....very encouraging.  Regarding the Genset, have you tried dampening the sound at all?  My understanding is that in the Open model the generator is not contained within a sound dampening enclosure but it is in the Sovran.  I'm envious of your trips to the Bahamas---a bit more of a logistical challenge to quickly get there from New England :-)

BTW:  Great looking boat in your avatar pic.
Like Post Reply
The gen does not bother me any longer. In the beginning I did think of putting itside a sound shield but then maintenance is not as easy for quick inspections. So tradeoffs tradeoffs. Not sure the stock sound shield would fit, maybe it would not sure. I did look into a soft sound shield that I found when at the Ft Lauderdale boat show one year but didn't like the idea of limited sight when doing quick inspections before a fishing trip etc.
Tom
Like Post Reply
(10-28-2017, 05:27 PM)radiocontester Wrote: Fellow boaters,

New to the forum.....and hope to be here for a while - looking to transition from a Four Winns 28' cruiser to a 3500 open or 3600 Sovran (early 2000's) in time for the start of the 2018/2019 boating season.  In a separate post I solicited info on a downloadable manual for the 3600 Sovran to begin educating myself on it's mechanical and electrical systems.  

Last year I was dead-set on purchasing a mid 2000's Formula 34PC for use up here on the east coast (cruising/transient overnights up and down the coast between Portland ME and the Cape) but recently fell in love with Tiara, i.e. the 3500 Open and 3600 Sovran.  Both look like outstanding boats for our intended purpose but the Sovran looks like it's better suited for cruising and overnights given the cabin layout and cockpit configuration.

Curious, are there others on the forum who own either boat and use them for extended overnights (3-5 nights)?  It's just my wife and I so I'm thinking the amount of room available in the cabin (much more than the boat we have) would suffice for extended overnight cruising.  I know this is a fairly broad question but I'm interested in hearing the experiences others are having with these boats for this purpose.

Thanks!

All depends on what you are looking for from the boat. The Sovereign is a nice "cruiser"..Think well-built Sea Ray. The open is just that, an open boat (fiberglass outside and teak inside)  with ample cockpit as well as a cabin which is ideal for two people. We have a 3500 open/6bta combo and cruise southern New England waters with her every summer. We typically spend up to two weeks on Block every summer as well. I think you will need to sea-trial both models to determine your ultimate comfort level.
Like Post Reply
(10-29-2017, 03:17 PM)tyresmoker Wrote:
(10-28-2017, 05:27 PM)radiocontester Wrote: Fellow boaters,

Thanks!

All depends on what you are looking for from the boat. The Sovereign is a nice "cruiser"..Think well-built Sea Ray. The open is just that, an open boat (fiberglass outside and teak inside)  with ample cockpit as well as a cabin which is ideal for two people. We have a 3500 open/6bta combo and cruise southern New England waters with her every summer. We typically spend up to two weeks on Block every summer as well. I think you will need to sea-trial both models to determine your ultimate comfort level.

Agree 100% on performing a comparative sea trial.  My wife and I don't fish but I do like the Open layout of the Open's cockpit, with space that allows us to use as needed (fold up chairs for example).  There seems to be a lot more 3500 and 3600 Opens on the used market here stateside compared to Sovran's so this may ultimately be a deciding factor in our purchase decision/timing/budget.  A lot to think about this winter.....
Like Post Reply
Agree on the market. 
Btw...I just might have a really nice one for sale right now in Connecticut Wink ...We are looking to go up to a 38 Open or 39C.
Like Post Reply
(10-29-2017, 06:23 PM)tyresmoker Wrote: Agree on the market. 
Btw...I just might have a really nice one for sale right now in Connecticut Wink ...We are looking to go up to a 38 Open or 39C.

I just sent you a PM.
Like Post Reply
I have owned a 2006 Sovran 36 with Cummens QSC 490HP for 7 years. We had a Searay 400DA with gas engines prior to the Tiara. We boat on Lake Erie and have made multiple trips to the North Channel and Lake Michigan...2 plus week trips. The benefit of the Sovran over an Open is the trunk. We store two fold up bikes, a propane grill, electric Dinghy motor and a inflatable paddle board. For long trips there is also room for extra water and beer. We keep a dinghy on the swim platform. The main disadvantage of the boat for traveling is the limited freezer space. We have over come that by planning and packing them efficiently.

The Sovran is a heavy boat for its size. On several trip we have traveled with a 2008 44 Searay that has the same engines as our Tiara. Even though the Searay is bigger our speed is the same at the same RPM.

Hope this helps
John
36 Sovran, Cummins QSC
Like Post Reply
(10-31-2017, 09:57 AM)jhhall Wrote: I have owned a 2006 Sovran 36 with Cummens QSC 490HP for 7 years.  We had a Searay 400DA with gas engines prior to the Tiara.  We boat on Lake Erie and have made multiple trips to the North Channel and Lake Michigan...2 plus week trips.  The benefit of the Sovran over an Open is the trunk.  We store two fold up bikes, a propane grill, electric Dinghy motor and a inflatable paddle board.  For long trips there is also room for extra water and beer.  We keep a dinghy on the swim platform.  The main disadvantage of the boat for traveling is the limited freezer space.  We have over come that by planning and packing them efficiently.  

The Sovran is a heavy boat for its size.  On several trip we have traveled with a 2008 44 Searay that has the same engines as our Tiara.  Even though the Searay is bigger our speed is the same at the same RPM.  

Hope this helps

Thanks for sharing your experience, I appreciate the insight into storage and freezer space.  The SR 400DA is a good size boat, one I also considered before locking-in on Tiara.  Did you notice a considerable difference in cabin space when you transitioned to the Sovran?
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2001 3500 OPEN Crown Royal 0 29 05-07-2021, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Crown Royal
  2001 3100 open lakesidevu 3 220 04-27-2021, 03:39 PM
Last Post: emarrero
  2001 3500 OPEN windshield Crown Royal 11 1,023 04-19-2021, 08:35 PM
Last Post: emarrero
  factory hardtops for 2000 3100 open Mariner Trick 24 1,708 03-31-2021, 01:47 PM
Last Post: Matta0413
  [Tiara Sovran] 4300 vs 4400/4700 sovran BayAreaCharlie 1 253 03-30-2021, 07:49 AM
Last Post: GMahanna