Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
50 amp shore cable not advancing or retracting
I have a new to me Tiara 40 Express. The 50A shore cable no longer moves in or out as it used to. It started with a low battery charge condition. I did manage to extend the cable perhaps 8 ft before it stopped. I pulled strongly on the cable but to no avail. No movement inward either. I had barely sufficient length to connect to the shore receptacle but did manage a connection. That allowed me a 240 volt connection (but no 120 vac which is another story). I was able to recharge my batteries. Then I reset the 12 volt breaker for the cable retracted. When I tried to extend the cable, there was a click and the breaker flipped out again. Pulling on the cable did nothing.

I see no way of accessing the cable moving motor or apparatus. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Fuzzdr
Like Post Reply

If your voltage was down when you were trying to extend the cable it could have taken out the motor. If you follow the cable it should lead into the bilge where it collects into a large white plastic bucket. Above that you should see the drive mechanism and a control box. given that you are throwing a breaker I doubt it is a bad relay or control box but never the less that is where I would start. Try disconnecting the drive mechanism from the relay/control box and see if the breaker still trips. That will tell you if it is the motor or some other problem.
Like Post Reply
Thank you First Mate for your interest and input. Yes I had considered that the low voltage initially might have damaged the cable motor. But I saw no way of exposing the motor and related components. The cable disappears completely from under the step at the starboard rear boarding area. I will look around for a way to get in there and check the motor out (and the relay and control box too). This is my first Tiara (1997 40 Express) and very different than my last boat which is more bare bones with less electrical niceties. So far I like the Tiara but there are a few minor issues to deal with. Fuzzdr
Like Post Reply
Now that the batteries are fully charged, the mechanism can be heard to run when the switch is activated. But the cable still does not move outward. And the breaker is not flipping out when I release the switch after a few seconds. It now seems to me that the motor may not be fried but more likely the cable is somehow kinked or obstructed in it's movement. I hope to gain access and to inspect the mechanism soon. Fuzzdr
Like Post Reply
Today I did locate the shore power cable in the bilge accessed via the engine room. As I had suspected, the cable was twisted onto itself into a ball making it impossible for the cable to advance or to retract. I did manage to untwist the cable. Then upon activation of the switch, the cable did move out of the boat as it is intended to do. So that problem has been solved easily without any expense.
Like Post Reply
Glad to hear it was something simple.
Like Post Reply
I have a similar problem and seems to be a relay panel or switch, have not chased it yet, the cord will retract but not extend.
I have found that I can pull the cord out manually by forcing it in and out slightly. the motor will disengage and the pully will turn with a little difficulty. switch seems to be the most obvious place to start, but the relay box is relatively accessible/well labled and inexpensive.
Like Post Reply
To finish off this thread, I would like to say that my solution was easy. I simply located the storage bin for the power cable in the rear starboard corner of the engine room..............and untangled the twisted cable that I found there. Fuzzdr
Like Post Reply
(08-03-2018, 10:44 AM)schorert Wrote: I have a similar problem and seems to be a relay panel or switch, have not chased it yet, the cord will retract but not extend.  
I have found that I can pull the cord out manually by forcing it in and out slightly. the motor will disengage and the pully will turn with a little difficulty.  switch seems to be the most obvious place to start, but the relay box is relatively accessible/well labled and inexpensive.

I'm not sure if you solved your problem.  But what you're describing sounds like the cord is pushing against the "safety actuator switch".  It's located above the round bin and is the assembly of 4 white rollers the cord runs through.  The rollers are spring loaded and when the cord pushes too hard against a roller it pushes against the actuator switch and turns off the motor when you try to extend the cord.
Like Post Reply
Hello, I just noticed this post. I also have an express 40 and have the same problem with the power cord loop preventing the extension of the cord when most of the 50A cable is in the tub. I just drop down into the engine room and squeeze by the raw water intake and free up the loop. It happens quite often. I'm considering getting another cord to leave at my home slip and only use the retractable one for trips away. 

I wonder if the the old cord, being oxidized and no longer smooth contributes to the problem. I'll have to investigate...

Best regards
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shore Power - Hazard Avail Light? Newbie7749 1 94 06-12-2022, 09:41 PM
Last Post: MC1600
  [Tiara Open] Steering cable pin behind the motor- help Corradorx 0 128 05-03-2022, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Corradorx
  [Tiara Open] Cleaning the 50 amp cable CaptBrett 18 7,798 02-13-2022, 02:55 PM
Last Post: CaptRCA
  [Tiara Sovran] Cable master bsause 2 896 11-06-2020, 07:27 AM
Last Post: bsause
  Brand new batteries are dead with shore power on. KerryMarie Elliott 4 2,311 03-09-2019, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Uhehner