Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiara Continental 2300
Howdy
I picked up a 1982 Tiara Continental 2300 late last summer. It had been sitting in a barn for 20 years. The gelcoat had never been touched. So I wet sanded the hull three times working up to 2000 grit. I used two different buffing compounds, then waxed it. It really came out  nice. Near new! The seats also came back after I cleaned and conditioned them. The teak is in excellent condition. And I spent some time oiling all the teak. This has been a fun project. And the boat looks outstanding?. Like a  Tiara should ?.
The next project is the OMC stringer out drive . The coupler has failed. And there are non available. There are several used ones available. But mine was used until it failed. And I have researched the old OMC stuff and there are lots of parts that are unavailable. I am removing the entire drive system. And want to convert it over to Merccruiser! So I am looking for information of any proven proceedures that have been used to do this.
Thank You
Charlie

Thumbnail(s)

Like Post Reply

It cleaned up really nice. I would have never thought the vinyl would be any good after sitting that long.

The Mercruiser switch shouldn't be too much of a PITA. Move some motor mounts and possibly have to recut the hole for the gimbal housing mount. Just make sure you reseal any old holes and news ones really well. I would think all gauges cables and steering are going to be different. So make sure you get w working harness to make the job easier.

Post some pictures as you do it.
Like Post Reply
My plan is to buy a boat with Merccruiser that has a cracked block, that way I will get all that I need. My engine is fresh. There are several out there for under 2k.
Like Post Reply
Is your engine the same as the merc? If it is the same you will be able to use the old rear mounts, shaft dampner and manifolds. If not then you are in for a lot of modifications.
Like Post Reply
Not exactly sure. But it is a GMC 350. According to my buddies who know the 350, they all were the same. But I guess I will find out. ?

Thumbnail(s)
Yesterday, 08:09 PM" />   
Like Post Reply
Should work. They didn't move any of the mounting holes to my knowledge. The Merc may have the engine positioned either a little forward or back requiring you to move the mounts position on the stringers but that should be about it.

Good luck and post some pictures.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Open] Removal Of Swim Platform - Tiara 3100 Open sbayrakeri 3 855 04-29-2019, 06:21 PM
Last Post: NYBoater1
  Replicating Tiara's Modified Sump Box ddfour1 1 830 01-23-2018, 07:48 PM
Last Post: tcates1225
  Tiara 3500 Express Jpendejo 3 1,060 10-07-2017, 04:24 PM
Last Post: ReelMagic
  Camperback for 1988 Tiara 3300 Open hutchyyj 0 653 02-21-2017, 06:41 PM
Last Post: hutchyyj
  Works on my Tiara 3300 1995 model savakntr 5 1,992 06-11-2016, 08:14 AM
Last Post: rose_surfer