Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2001 3500 OPEN windshield
Has anybody removed the outside windshield frame to send out to have powder coated ?
Thanks
Chuck
Like Post Reply

I have not BUT be careful with this project. Fasteners they used were stainless steel and the bolting surface is aluminum and several people have told me they don't come off easily or at all. Plus, realignment is very very very difficult to impossible to do once removed. I was told if you want to redo just tape off, strip, and paint using awl grip or equivalent. BUT...YMMV.
Tom
Like Post Reply
(10-18-2020, 11:01 AM)trit21 Wrote: I have not BUT be careful with this project. Fasteners they used were stainless steel and the bolting surface is aluminum and several people have told me they don't come off easily or at all. Plus, realignment is very very very difficult to impossible to do once removed. I was told if you want to redo just tape off, strip, and paint using awl grip or equivalent. BUT...YMMV.

I thought that's what I had read just wanted to check.
Thanks for the reply Tom
Chuck
Like Post Reply
Most Tiara opens of that vintage have a windshield frame that as mentioned should never be removed, and caps which are the painted outside facing trim pieces screwed into the frame. The caps can be removed but must be done carefully as Tiara no longer provides spare parts. I removed and painted the caps from my 43 Open (same year). They came off with no problems other than two screws that needed a little heat to help them along . The real challenge was the cleanup and prep work. Lots of sealant, butyl tape, seals, etc that took a while to clean out. Otherwise it wasn't a terrible job but did take quite a while.

masking and painting will probably take less time and will be cheaper. taking the caps off provides the opportunity to reseal everything. Not sure which path I would take if I were doing it all over again.

Tiara has a service bulletin available that provides detailed instructions, part numbers for the seals, hints to make the job a little easier and paint codes. Probably worth dropping them a note and reviewing it before starting anything. M2C
Like Post Reply
The caps was what I was talking about, but they are not leaking except for the center vent which I can deal with. I think I will clean them up and paint them in place with awlgrip.
Thanks for the info.
Chuck
Chuck
Like Post Reply
I have that windshield information from Tiara, if you provide your email I can send that over to you.
Tom
Like Post Reply
Thanks Tom I sent you a pm
Chuck
Like Post Reply
I have removed and powder coated the frames. Use piano wire to cut though the adhesive tape and caulk. Otherwise you will bend the frames removing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply
I’ve been touching up with white rust oleum. Does job, at some point I’m going to have professionally painted. But not going to remove.
ISBIB
Like Post Reply
Many of the Tiaras I am familiar with in my area that had the window frames done all painted them while on boat and did not remove.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Open] 1999 3100 open main battery disconnect switch amp rating whittem1 0 52 02-22-2021, 09:47 AM
Last Post: whittem1
  [Tiara Open] 3200 Open pulpit damage nrm 0 84 02-15-2021, 10:07 AM
Last Post: nrm
  What kind of dinghy davit for 3500 Express Norm 7 231 02-06-2021, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Mark DeJoie
  [Tiara Open] new owner tiara 3800 open , looking for ideas ajcjr 2 269 01-30-2021, 11:46 PM
Last Post: greylion
  3200 open vs 3500 open dry weight reeltimebrad 0 91 01-29-2021, 10:41 AM
Last Post: reeltimebrad