Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batteries
Need new batteries for my 2004 44 Sovran.-(4 start and 6 house).-Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Like Post Reply

Not sure if your batteries are GEL batteries or not but I replaced my 6 GEL (3 house & 3 Engine) batteries after 17 years of very good service last year with 6 GEL batteries from NAPA.... All were 31 series and so far so good (NAPA 8272)... As a caution you need to ensure your charges (engine & chargers) are set to charge GEL batteries.. M2C
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReelMagic's post:
Folkvord (10-30-2021)
Like Post Reply
I used duracell agm's from sams under $200 for 31's only have a couple year's on them but so far so good. FWIW my last set of interstate lead acid did not make it even two years before boiling off and causing some almost deadly fumes in the cabin.
[-] The following 1 user Likes reeltimebrad's post:
Folkvord (10-30-2021)
Like Post Reply
I’m so glad you mentioned those, reeltimebrad. I’m looking to replace my 8 gels with those Duracell AGM’s. Good to hear the positive review. I just can’t possibly imagine how “marine” batteries from WM or the like are worth twice the price. Even if the Duracell’s last only half as long, I still break even in the end.
Like Post Reply
A word of caution to all that may be changing the type (wet cell, AGM, GEL) of batteries installed to a different type as the engine alternator regulators & the shore chargers may need to be changed to reflect the new type of battery... Charging levels and float values are different for each.... M2C
Like Post Reply
I though AGM and gel had the same charging properties in that regard. I’ve got the 3208 Cats with Balmar regulators and alternators. Any idea if they’ll work?
Like Post Reply
I tend to agree GEL and AMG batteries should be interchangeable but based on my Charles Charger info (see attached) there is a difference in charging rate and float levels. As a result I decided to stay with GEL as they were the ones installed by Tiara when the boat was built... M2C

Like Post Reply
Interesting. Thanks ReelMagic
Like Post Reply
Most of the Balmar regulators can be reprogrammed to the batteries you change to. I changed out the regulators on my last 2 Tiaras that had Cat diesels. During the setup (using the magnetic screwdriver) you can choose a ton of things like charge rates, how fast the alternators come up (doesn't put a full load on them immediately upon starting) and battery type just to name a few. There were so many variables it was confusing.
Sans Peur 2003 Tiara 50 Open
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Open] 1994 3100 Open Number of Batteries Duke 3 1,429 01-27-2024, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Joeboch348
  [Tiara Sovran] Charging batteries at the dock or on the hard Donaldjames 3 1,392 05-13-2022, 11:45 AM
Last Post: Donaldjames
  Port charges house or port charges starting batteries Matta0413 5 3,786 06-25-2020, 03:08 PM
Last Post: esf
  new batteries honest mark 11 4,941 06-10-2020, 09:08 AM
Last Post: ReelMagic
  [Tiara Open] Need to replace 6 Gel Batteries. (3 house & 3 engine) - 38 Open w/450 Cummin's ReelMagic 6 2,906 05-23-2020, 07:22 AM
Last Post: ReelMagic