Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wrong Porthole Gaskets?
I shudder to even bring this issue up since this is only like the 10,000th thread on this topic. But I’ve searched repeatedly and haven’t seen this specific question raised…

I ordered new screen/gasket kits through Tiara (via GH Schmidt). Went to install, and the actual gasket is markedly different. The one I just got is much larger and is way to large (in terms of thickness) to allow the port to close. Attached is what I received Vice what’s currently installed (much smaller, hole in the middle). 

Did I just get the wrong gasket? Appreciate any thoughts you pros might have.

Thumbnail(s)

Like Post Reply

I went through exactly the same thing on my 2002 38 Open...and was pissed since I removed the old gasket and applied silicone for the new one and it did not fit. What a mess. I cleaned up the track and reinstalled the one that I had taken out. I got mine directly from GG Schmitt for about $18.00 each. When I complained to them they said "Oh you must have the old style". They changed them in the 2001-2002 model year.  So they sent me a length of the one with the hole in it that you cut to the size you need. I have not installed it because I am pretty convinced that my leak is coming from above...cleat, rub rail, a snap button or the windshield. The reason I say this is that I installed a plastic brow above the porthole so water cannot enter via the gasket or the frame and it still leaks after a rain. I can't see the water but my moister meter pegs on the plastic covered foam inside under it.

Thumbnail(s)

Like Post Reply
Outstanding — thank you!
Like Post Reply
Maybe this is confirmation bias because it's what I just did, but I would bite the bullet and buy new window assemblies while they're available and very reasonably priced when bought direct from GGS. The new design is significantly better in my opinion.

You can replace the interior 'half' of the window assembly without removing the outside frame if you want. It would give you an opportunity to check the condition of the coring and update to the new design without a huge time commitment. Just food for thought.
Like Post Reply
(04-05-2022, 12:41 PM)hiccup Wrote: Maybe this is confirmation bias because it's what I just did, but I would bite the bullet and buy new window assemblies while they're available and very reasonably priced when bought direct from GGS.  The new design is significantly better in my opinion.

You can replace the interior 'half' of the window assembly without removing the outside frame if you want.  It would give you an opportunity to check the condition of the coring and update to the new design without a huge time commitment. Just food for thought.

I got screens and gaskets.  What else would I need to replace?  My rings/glass are in excellent shape.  Is there something else in there I'm missing?
Like Post Reply
(04-05-2022, 12:53 PM)MC1600 Wrote: I got screens and gaskets.  What else would I need to replace?  My rings/glass are in excellent shape.  Is there something else in there I'm missing?

No, I'm not saying you're missing anything.  I would just opt for switching the window to the new style as the new style gasket is far superior to the old one.  The old style does not compress enough and therefore is likely to have areas along the perimeter that are not sealed.  If you put the new gaskets in and have no leaks, you're good.
Like Post Reply
(04-11-2022, 10:23 AM)hiccup Wrote:
(04-05-2022, 12:53 PM)MC1600 Wrote: I got screens and gaskets.  What else would I need to replace?  My rings/glass are in excellent shape.  Is there something else in there I'm missing?

No, I'm not saying you're missing anything.  I would just opt for switching the window to the new style as the new style gasket is far superior to the old one.  The old style does not compress enough and therefore is likely to have areas along the perimeter that are not sealed.  If you put the new gaskets in and have no leaks, you're good.

Gotcha.  I'll check and see what that would take.  Based on the sizable investment already made on the newer style gaskets, maybe it wouldn't take much more to just replace the whole set-up.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Sovran] Porthole Screens robwhite433@yahoo.com 3 1,935 02-13-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Narrowriver
  [Tiara Open] Gaskets, seats and hatch seals/edge guards mc307tank 2 794 08-14-2023, 09:43 PM
Last Post: mc307tank
  [Tiara Sovran] Stuck bathroom porthole Donaldjames 0 343 03-09-2023, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Donaldjames
  [Tiara Open] Porthole Locks Joeboch348 1 502 02-18-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: bruce@bigrivergroup.com
  Porthole Gaskets GeoDoc 17 4,765 03-14-2022, 07:37 PM
Last Post: hiccup